New user, Some general questions

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by vmron, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmron

vmron Registered Member

I currently use Returnil 2010 registered home free,so far I happy with program.

1. When I install returnil does it turn off system restore for the system disk and can I turn system restore back on without any problems?
    I tried uninstalling some programs using Revo uninstaller with system safe turned off and it couldn't create a restore point.

2. I installed returnil under a LUA account, Can I log on to the administrator account and use the program without any problems?

3. Does Returnil use half the hard drive space when installing? If so does this mean if I had a 1 TB hard drive 500 GB would be used by default?

4. Do I need to get a new license every 30 days to use the program or does it stop working?

5. Can I defragment the system partition when system safe is turned off?

Thanks in advance for any answers

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello vmron and welcome to the forums :)

RVS will block the creation of Windows System Restore points when the System Safe virtualization is active. If SS is off, there should be no issue creating a restore point.

You should install RVS in an Administrative account or as an admin from within an LUA account. Then you can use it from any account regardless of permissions.

No, you are confusing the maximum size the virtualization cache is allowed to grow to as opposed to the space required to install the software. Further, the default cache setting is for 50% of available free space on your system partition (usually the C:\drive). Here is an example that should help visualize this:

1. Your C:\ drive has a total space of 120 GB
    2. Windows takes 15 GB
    3. This leaves a total of 105 GB of free space available for the virtualization cache
    4. The default setting is to allow the cache to grow to a maximum of 50% of this which would be equal to 52.5 GB

This space is not used however until it is required as the caching in RVS is dynamic which means the actual cache is created "on-the-fly". Windows however may report the space as used when it is not as RVS will "reserve" the space when System Safe is activated. When deactivated, the space will no longer be reserved and Windows will report the available space remaining correctly.

I will assume for the moment that you are using the trial version. When the trial is over, the software will revert to the unregistered free version. The license to use the free version will expire after a period of time, but only as a reminder to the user that they should look for a newer build to install.

Yes as this is the only time that disk defragmentation is allowed. With System Safe turned on there is no reason to defragment the real HDD as no changes are being saved to the real disk. Further, attempting to defragment your disk with the virtualization active can cause unintended damage to files on the real system so RVS is configured to terminate any attempt to defragment unless SS is turned off to prevent this from occurring.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. vmron

vmron Registered Member

Thank you for the quick response and clearing up my confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.