new user of acronis. some questions.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jrx10, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I just purchased acronis 9.0/with migrate off of ebay (new disk (I think)-original sealed box--) (because I only have windows xp and 2000 on my boxes. My originals were upgrades from 98se and I decided it was time to reinstall from scratch instead of upgrade. I basically purchased it for migrate, as I was going to reinstall windows xp (clean install) with all the updates to a couple of smaller/older 10 gig HDs, and then copy (clone) everything over to my newer HDs and just keep the older (original windows install HDs) for backup. I really didn't know anything about imaging until I started reading about it under help.
    After reinstalling xp with all the critical updates/defender/IE7/and wmp 11, I made an image of this and installed it on the last partition (F). Just for grins, I reinstalled windows from the image to the D drive and it came out almost perfect (actually .1 mb over from the original and that was in the my docs file for some reason). I didn't try to boot from it, I just reformatted the D drive. The questions I have are 1) should programs like windows defender/windows restore and AV be stopped and disabled when making an image (or cloning) xp to a new drive? 2) Are there any problems from restoring the OS from an image, or does it normally work without any problems? 3) now that I've got a basic image (os, critical updates, and only a couple of programs installed), I think after reinstalling my programs/AV, software firewall, etc I'll just make another image of that, and keep both the basic image, and the complete image, or maybe 3 or 4 images 1 without the AV, and one without the FW incase I decide to change. (when I uninstalled the KAV trial from add/remove programs as well as the KAV uninstall tool I have a blank "search window" and when I bring up "users" under "control panel", there's nothing there even though my accounts (administrator and limited user) are still functioning---*&^%$#$%%^)​
    4) is it better to have "no compression" or does it matter? 5) any other tips/problems (links) before continuing with acronis? thx

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

1. I do my images within Windows with my email polling, network running, firewall running, AVG anti-virus running. Some users continue working but the machine does run more slowly; I prefer to go for a coffee, bathroom break or sometimes just like to watch :). Some prefer to boot up the rescue CD and make their images from it. This way the disk is static and you don't have to worry about Windows and apps causing a problem. However, many of us image from Windows all the time and have no problems. It is faster in Windows.

2. You do NOT know that you have a workable backup and restore solution until you do a restore and boot the system from the restored disk. Note that the TI rescue CD is a Linux environment and it uses different drivers from Windows so what works in Windows may not in the rescue environment. When you restore your C drive, even though you start the process in Windows it will reboot the PC and run the Linux environment. Do a test restore!

3. -

4. Most of us use normal compression. Higher takes longer and for little benefit, IMO.

5. See the threads listed at the bottom of this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29880

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

SFE, thx for the link. I'm more of a 'put it together without any directions by playing around with it' person. (Then when I SiU, I ask the pros. :D) Good initial impression of this SW and I'll read up on it on this board before doing any more BUs. thx again.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That's fine as long as your playing around includes complete testing so you are aware of any deficiencies.

There are many, many posts on this board where replacing a bad disk was the first time the person tried a restore (did lots of backups though) and it didn't work for various reasons.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

jrx10,
    You might want to check my link to Beginner Guides. Since you're new to True Image, these will help to get you started.

6. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

Last night, I cloned windows xp to another harddrive without any problems. It booted right up and no files seemed to be missing. I made a disk image and stored it on another partition. So on that "play" drive, I used system restore to go back a couple of days, and then used TI to restore the OS from that disk image back to the C drive. After about an hour for a around 4 gig restore, everything seemed to progressing smoothly, but at the end TI had a PU, that said Windows critical files were missing and were replaced with unrecognizable files, and I need to install the original sp1 disk (this has sp2), and then reboot, to restore these files, which I did. Then windows xp booted up ok, I logged in to the same administrator account, but then windows xp came up with a PU that said windows explorer had a problem and had to close (error report). I checked the error report and there were a bunch of files in there. Can some explain, or give me a link to the problem? thx

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

My guides gave illustrations of how to create a archive of the entire drive (disk 1) including all partitions both hidden and otherwise. Did you create such an archive of your system drive as illustrated by the guide?

If yes, did your restore procedure mirror my examples? Did you choose the "disk 1" as the restore option; and did you try the restore using the Rescue CD?

Using the above procedure, you would have copied everything (all partitions) and would have restored all partitions.

The only reason I refer to the guides is so we can determine what procedures/options/selections were used.

8. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

Followed the guide, made boot disk etc, etc. Cloned my newly reinstalled reinstallation of xp on my keeper original HD to another "play" HD, booted from the acronis boot up disc, made an image to another partition, rebooted back to windows, deleted certain areas of the original windows, then rebooted from the acronis disc and restored the image back to C. windows xp booted normally, and the deleted areas were restored. Even though this acronis TI 9 I purchased new off ebay (new) is, unfortunately an older version of TI 9, it worked as advertised, so far. 2 thumbs up. :thumb: :thumb: The only problem I had was that for some reason TI wouldn't make the boot disk to CD-RW, but the CD-R came out fine, and they're cheap. I'll continue to read up on TI when I get the time. It should come in real handy when trying out new AV and new SW firewalls, etc. Thx, everyone for the help. :D
    Also windows defender detected some changes. As this new new install has only been on the 'net to download XP updates, and I haven't reinstalled any of my anti-malware programs including AV, and only had the xp outbound SW FW running behind the router FW, I just wanted to make sure these were associated with TI-9. thx ​

9. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The first one is from True Image, not sure about the second, but a quick check with your Google Gods should provide the answer.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jrx10,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Both timntr.sys and tifsfilt.sys are associated with Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.