New user : How to use ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ankupan, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I am new user.

Is there any guide, so I can see the step for using these software.

Waiting for guidelines.

~
    ankupan

(HDD is 120 GB and two partition C:, D:, and D: is almost full and C: is 40 GB free)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi ankupan

My first suggestion would be to read and re read the manual for FDISR. Then you can read thru the thread "How I use FDISR" to get some ideas of using FDISR.

I would start with the Primary snapshot which is built when you install, and is actually just your C drive as it exists when you install. Then create a secondary snapshot, and play around with the concepts of copying between them and booting between them. Then you can expand from there.

Pete

3. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry, still I am not clear,

Someone, who can guide me ? I will PM him.....

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

5. ErikAlbert

FDISR is an Immediate System Recovery software, which means that you can recover your system partition in no time by rebooting your computer, which is of course much FASTER than restoring an image of your Image Backup software.
    (If you don't have an Image Backup software, take care of this FIRST and then install FDISR)

In order to make that possible FDISR uses two SNAPSHOTS of the actual harddisk.
    1. FDISR creates the primary snapshot during the installation = WORK snapshot for daily use.
    2. You create the secondary snapshot immediately after the installation = ROLLBACK snapshot.
    After that you ANCHOR the folder "My Documents" and you are ready.
    Anchoring folders/files means that these objects are NOT included in all your snapshots, which also means that all snapshots share the same folder "My Documents" and not a copy of this folder.

In case something goes wrong in your WORK snapshot like trying a new software that doesn't like your system.
    1. you reboot your computer
    2. press the F1-key in the FDISR Splash Screen, which appears before Windows starts
    3. you select/reboot in your ROLLBACK snapshot.
    4. you copy/update from your ROLLBACK snapshot to your WORK snapshot, which restores the WORK snapshot.
    5. you reboot in your WORK snapshot and you are back in business as nothing happened.

Each snapshot (minimum 2/maximum 10) is a copy of your system partition [C:] and you can change each snapshot individually at free will.
    This is how FDISR works basically, but you still have to learn the rest.

You can't learn FDISR in one day, so start slow, learn and try something new every day and one day you will teach us how to use FDISR. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  6. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Hi, just installed, and have primary snapshot, I get an error on secondary, can not create??

UNABLE TO CREATE STATIC COPY OF ACTIVE SNAPSHOT

any ideas?

Thanks

7. ErikAlbert

nixie21,

Try this first and tell us if it worked or not.

If that didn't work, try this :

Click on Start-button and Run...

Type these two commands

cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup (hit enter)

ISRSetup -install -rss (or -vss) (hit enter)

re-boot

Try again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  8. nixie21

I tried the 2nd thing last night before bed, still did not work. I will uninstall/reinstall later when I get home and post back the results.

Thanks

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik Unless your system is configured to open to C:\ when you click start>Run your cd command will fail.

It must be CD c:\$isr\$app\setup

Pete

10. nixie21

Yes, I used the cd :)

Also to make sure it worked, how long should the install take since it creates the primary snapshot?

11. nixie21

Well full uninstall and reinstall, same problem:
    03/22/07 19:23 0010 FirstDefense-ISR Service [Server Version 3.10.173] started
    03/22/07 19:23 0084 Pre-boot Check ... OK
    03/22/07 19:24 4510 Snapshot "Secondary Snapshot" created
    03/22/07 19:24 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    03/22/07 19:24 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    03/22/07 19:24 1035 No files copied or deleted; Errors 2; 2 seconds
    03/22/07 19:24 1259 Static snapshot error

Any Ideas?

I will create a new thread for this error....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.