New user..Help please

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Datagg, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Hello all. Nice forum you have here. HAd my comp compromised yesterday, all of the sudden my avast program lit up, like 10 times...The virus then shut down the av program, and shut down outpost all in seconds. I quickly disconnected my modem. Then to make a long story short, the comp was shot, avast was not oporational, outpost was toast also. Mt computer was trying to hook up to someone, and well, after it wouldnt even boot right anymore I figured I needed something to protect my protection.

So here I am. WHen Itold the guys at avast bout what happened they referred me to over here. Ive been messign with the program all night now, and I really love it and hope to never revisit what happened again.

Question though if I may. I have my virus program and Avast set for full protection as of now. Outpost appears to be able to download still, yet avast says not enough access. I have enabled every exe in the avast folder to say in process guard for it to allow driver updates for each exe, yet still no go.. The only way it will work, is if I disable the main protection for block drivers and services. Obviously based on the crap that just went down, i want full security for all, and am wondering why I cant get avast to work right with that setting. All else as of now looks great, its just that one. So for now, to receive updates I have it disabled. So hopefulll you guys know of the avast setup, or knwo how i can fix this.

Thank you for listening to my novel here. You all have a great program here, and im happy to be part of the family now..

Bless

Dan

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Datagg, Hope your PC is absolutley clean before you installed Process Guard.

Do you have the full version or the trial? Ass you may not be able to do what you require with the trial version

When you create a protected list in the full version you can then give each protected program individual Allow flags such as install services /drivers, which in your case I expect would just be applied to Avast's main .exe. The allow flag is only applicable to programs within the list so Process Guard still has control.
    You would then not need to disable the Global "Block Serices & driver install"

HTH Pilli

3. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Hello thank you for reply. Yes, after the chaos the otehr day, I did I format to c: and reinstaled. A bit of history, when I first installed PG and set it for full protection ( yes it is purchased version ) I then added my avast.exe, and gave it full permssion to download drivers etc. Yet, it did not want to work. Only when I disable the global prevent will it download again. So, I then took every EXE in avast folder and did th esame, figuring one of them was preventing downloads, still no difference. So as of now, it is glbally off, so I can still get updates. All the otehr programs i gave permissions to such as outpost all work fine. So im really baffled here. Im new to the program, so perhaps im just missing something here, i dunno.

Thank you again, and hopefully I can figure this out......

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK Datagg, I am pretty certain that it is another executable file that is probably not in the main Avast folder but possbly in Windows system32 folder or one of it's sub folders.
    Avast support should be able to tell you which of it's files call up a service/driver and then you can make the necessary allows.

HTH Pilli

5. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Thank you..i will ask them, then ill post here so anyone else may have same prob...

Ill be back....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.