New User has a Question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Sam Ceccola, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Ceccola

Sam Ceccola Guest

OS=WINDOWS XP Pro

Up to Friday (9/19/03), I was using eSafe virus protector however my system got infected with the w32/Swen@MM virus. I got rid of it and purchased NOD32.

Question: How can I tell if it's working and connected to my email? I appreciate your reply. Thank You,Sam

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Sam,

A safe way to test can be found here: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Regards,

Pieter

3. Sam Ceccola

Sam Ceccola Registered Member

Pieter:
    Thank you for your reply. I do have another question: If the value of "Scanned" in IMON increases, does that mean incoming and out-going email is being checked for viruses?
    Thank You,
    Sam

4. Daniel M

Daniel M Registered Member

Sam

NOD32 does not scan outgoing email, only incoming.

Daniel

5. Sam Ceccola

Thank you for your reply. I will rephrase my question: If the value showned under "Scanned" in IMON is increasing, does that mean my incoming mail is being checked for viruses? The reason I am asking is: when I first installed NOD32 yesterday, It gave me some message (I don't remember exactly what it said) that said my email was not a POP3. It is, and I also noticed that IMON was disabled. I did the setup on IMON and now it is enabled. I just want to make sure that my sytem is protected from viruses attached to incoming email.
    Thanks Again,
    Sam

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

If the scan counter increases then it most definitely is. To make sure though, you can go to the IMON setup, and choose append notification to all e-mails.

7. Sam Ceccola

Thank you all, very much. I appreciate your answers and quick response.
    Sam Ceccola

8. Sam Ceccola

IMON/EMON Question from new user

Sorry folks, but I'm confused. I recently installed NOD32. During the installation, I got an error message that said something about my email (I don't remember what it was). In a previous post, I was told that since my "scanned" count in IMON is increasing and each of my incoming messages have a "Nod32 Information" message, my incoming email is being checked.

This is where the confusion comes in: while I was reading some of the documentation, it mentions EMON is the email checker. In the "Control Center", I don't have EMON. I have: AMON, IMON, and NOD32. My e-mail client is "Incredimail". Please help straighten out this confusion. Is my email covered?

9. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

IMON is the "regular" email scanner, EMON monitors outlook mail (not OE). So you are well protected with IMON. EMON is only available when nod detects an outlook system on your install.
    But the docu is really a bit confusing about this...

Karl

10. Sam Ceccola

Thank you for clearing this subject up. Yes I did find the documentation confusion on this subject. After being hit last weekend with the SWEN virus, I'm nervous about my coverage. You helped clear it up.

11. cheber

cheber Guest

I don't have EMON even though I've got Outlook XP. Does it all depend on if you have a sexy keyboard or not? ;)

12. c53204

c53204 Registered Member

I have a windows 2000 system with Outlook 2000. I dont'a have the mentioned EMON module showing. Hope this doesn't mean my emails are unprotected!!!!

13. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi c53204,

Is "use MAPI interface" checked in Nod32??
    see screenshot:

14. cheber

cheber Guest

Yeah, it's checked.

Btw, "append notification to emails" has a nice feature too. Doesn't work if it's an RTF e-mail.

15. c53204

c53204 Registered Member

Yes, use MAPI is checked. However I have since re-installed NOD32 and noticed that the EMON module will only load if Outlook is installed in the 'corporate' mode

16. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

Hmmm...that might be the reason...I have no outlook, so no EMON here :).

17. cheber

cheber Registered Member

So EMON isn't for home users, or what do you mean with 'corporate' mode?

18. c53204

c53204 Registered Member

Outlook in 'corporate' mode allows POP3, MAPI and Microsoft Exchange mail systems to be used.

The usual type of install for home users would be internet only email i.e. POP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.