New user can't upgrade to latest build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tenofhearts12, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenofhearts12

tenofhearts12 Registered Member

I installed True Image 11 from a purchased disk and installation was flawless. I register and download the 137.1 MB update from Acronis. I install the update but no where does it give an option to select the "Repair/Upgrade Acronis True Image" option as stated by Acronis. It is like your installing the program for the first time.

After installing and rebooting I try opening up the program and it tells me I have invalid serial number and to reinstall?

The only way I can get the program to work is by uninstalling everything, reinstalling from the disk and NOT installing the update.

This is counter productive to what Acronis states by needing to use the latest build but it is kind of hard to do so when there update install does not work or give you the option to update/repair as they state.

Any ideas?

PS I have sent in a request for tech support, got the automated reply but have yet to receive an email from a real person.

2. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

The update you have is in fact a full version of build 8053 - should see 8053 in the filename. I would uninstall what you have and install only the 8053 build using your original installation key/serial number

3. BullishDad

BullishDad Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to me. My disk contained Build 8022. After registering, I downloaded 8053. When I tried to update, it told me to uninstall the existing version even though the manual says that shouldn't be necessary.

So I uninstall 8022 and start over with an install of 8053. The install seems to get most of the way through, but then the progress bar goes backwards and I get a message telling me that the update could not be installed. Tried twice, same result.

I had to install 8022 again, but I'm afraid to start in with another update to 8053 because I have no idea why the update installation failed.

The 8053 build is the same full version at 137.1mb as described by tenofhearts12.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Here is a link to Acronis on how to un-install (courtesy of Bodgy.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1120006&postcount=4

Sometimes installing over an existing copy works and sometimes not. Many of us will always un-install our existing copies before installing a new update or upgrade--just to be safe. Each update or upgrade of True Image is a stand-alone copy--not dependant upon prior copies--but you will need your serial numbers when installing the upgrade.

Perhaps you have a partition True Image backup of your system drive and can restore that backup. Then you could run the un-install from the add/remove programs option to clear your system followed by a clean fresh install of the latest version.

5. BullishDad

I just read the un-install instuctions you linked, and my reaction was, "You've got to be kidding me!"

I know you're not kidding and I appreciate the help. However, I'm not that comfortable messing with the registry and I'm thinking that if I have to go thru all this to uninstall the program, do I really want to use this program at all?

Is the manual uninstall necessary? If I use the regular add/remove uninstall and selected manual steps, is there a simpler method?

6. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Its the only way I'm afraid.
    I'm well used to modifying the registry and all sorts but when I was going through the instructions I made a mess of it. Luckily for me I was able to restore to a place where I didn't need to uninstall, and to be honest I was going to restore anyway - I knew I would not be happy that the integrity of my system was intact.

Sorry I can't be more positive. I find it incredible that users should have to go through all that. If my Dad saw those instructions I'm afraid the pc would be in the dust bin pdq.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

There is one thing you can check before going the whole registry fiddle route.

TI like many products use a hidden temporary folder when installing. If an install fails for any reason, crud gets left behind. The answer is to delete the contents of this folder, which will contain remnants of many different install files from many different sources.

Once this folder is cleared out (you won't be able to delete any locked files), try re-installing TI again - if it works great - if not, then the complete registry clean may be the only alternative.

The folder you need to look for, and actually check quite regularly as it is surprising how much gets scattered by the workings of Window's is;

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\Local Settings\Temp.

You may need to change your settings to display system files and hidden files and folders.

Colin

8. BullishDad

Well, I uninstalled TI11, then did a Windows System Restore to a point when TI11 wasn't on the PC. After that my Windows Live Onecare no longer worked, so I had to uninstall and reinstall that program.

At this point I don't feel like trying my luck with TI11 again, so I'll put it away for awhile and maybe after the product matures a bit, I'll give it another shot.

9. tenofhearts12

tenofhearts12 Registered Member

I had made a restore point prior to installing TI 11 from the purchased disk so I was able to go back to that point and then reinstall the "update" with no problems during the install.

I wanted this product as an Xmas gift based on getting a new pc and more importantly great user reviews. At this point having not had the program that long I cannot give it great reviews but I can give Acronis an F for documentation and an F for tech support. They should be paying the forum users helping people like me out who do not work for Acronis.

By the way, their FAQ says it does not matter which "build" of TI 11 your using as to restoring an image if you had used an earlier build to create an image yet what I downloaded from them in the user manual says otherwise.

Get all your ducks in a row, Acronis and make up your mind as to that issue and also let people know they should uninstall their version of TI 11 before installing an "update" until you can fix and clarify that procedure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.