New user 4 questions

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mike21, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hello I am using LnS for less than a week now and I have some questions:

1. Is there a way to block all network traffic for certain occasions or do I have to add a rule in internet filtering tab?

2. I am using Phant0m ruleset which I read in another thread that is more extensive than the embedded enhanced ruleset. I am on an office network and a Zyxel router (Zyxel prestige DSL security gateway). However when I test my shields in grc.com and proceed with the testing of all my ports, none of them is stealth (as it is in my home PC where I connect through a SpeedTouch Router/Modem and all my ports appear stealth without a software firewall). Two ports appear open the telnet 23 and http 80. Do I have to block these two ports with a rule? Shouldn’t the LnS stealth my ports and close the two open ones?

3. If I want to keep only application filtering, I uncheck the checkbox “Internet Filtering Enabled”?

4. The log displays only block connections or all monitored connections?

Thanks in advance.

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi mike21 :)

Your questions are always welcomed mike21 ! :)

There's no "panic button" with LNS.
    It's possible to create a simple rule to block all trafic and enabled it if needed.

When you perform such test, check if the IP address checked is YOUR Ip address not the IP address of your employer's server !

So you want to have NO firewall at all.

LnS + Phant0m stuff + Internet filtering disabled: congrats ! ;)

Explain us why you want to disable the internet filtering?

There's many options for the LnS log:

1- It can be enabled or disabled

2- You can have the regular log plus a raw log (usefull to import in a spreadsheet like Ms Excel or OO Calc ...)

3- You may change the four options for the IP, resolved IP, ports number , ports resolution in the option tab.

4- In the application filtering you may choose for each application to have no log entry, a log entry each time the program is used or a log entry each time the program is blocked

5- in the Internet filtering, you may have, for each rule an en try in the log each time the rule is apply or no entry. This can be combined with no warning, a sound warning, a sound a "pop-up" warning...

Read the documentation of LnS please and keep things simple.
    Give you the time to learn how works LnS, like for any complex programs there is a "learning curve" for all new users...

We are always here to answer your questions.

Take care and have a nice day.

:)

3. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt response and warm welcome.

2. LOL, how didn’t I think that? It’s the ip of the employer and not my ip.
    How can I check my IP, which btw is 192.168.0.22 ?

3. It is not exactly “not firewall at all” as the Zyxel is self-advertized as a router with state-of-the-art firewall. So sometimes that I leave my PC open overnight I can rely to the Zyxel’s firewall and disable internet filtering, of course occasionally. I just wished to confirm that and you just did.

Re: Learning curve, I printed the manual and I will go through today, but I remember about a year ago, when I was testing firewalls, in order to choose between LnS (combined with NOD32) and KIS, there was a sticky thread in this forum about packets/leaks and the settings proposed. Now this sticky is gone. May I suppose its because of the new version, which overcame the packets’ leaks, so there is no need for this sticky?

4. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

OK please allow me to bump myself and rephrase my above post:

If I connect to the internet through my company’s main router, how can I check my PC's firewall at GRC provided that my IP is 192.168.0.22 and the router’s IP is 83.235.***.** ?

5. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi mike21 :)

Within the LAN: I don't know. I was looking for this at GRC and I see no option to set the checked IP address to a local IP addr. I'm not sure it's possible too.

What you can do is to check your FW at home, LNS activated (both applications and internet filtering), FW feature of your "Zyxel" off (if possible)...

mike21 :cautious: :

every companies claim their product is a "state-of-the-art" somethings... !

Even poeple:
    my former wife always claim to be a "state-of-art" woman ... :rolleyes:

;)

That's right.
    To have more info about the new version of LnS :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175766

:)

6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Dear Climenole, thank you very much for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.