New TrueCrypt User ... maybe.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by EdP, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdP

EdP Registered Member

I have very basic encryption requirements (12 encrypted containers and one encrypted partition) and use DriveCrypt 4.0 (DC) to accomplish them. Because of the rigmarole required to move DC from one PC to another (I bought a new XP Pro PC), I thought I'd install TrueCrypt on the new PC rather than move DC or purchase another license.

I've read the TrueCrypt tutorial as well as some of the User Guide and it appears that it's very similar to DC and quite up to the minimal needs I mentioned. Can anyone verify this? Other comments welcomed.

I also like the idea of a dynamic container which I don't believe DC has; if it does, I surely missed it. Based on some of the posts I read in this forum, I would most likely install Version 4.3 rather than 5.

Thanks
    EdP

2. Sublime

Sublime Registered Member

Hi,

did you think about upgrading to DriveCrypt 4.6? I am a user also and I am very satisfied with it. I really don't think TrueCrypt is a reliable competitor...

There have been made further enhancements to the new version of DC, about the migration of the license of the soft, I really don't find that difficult, as far as I remember you have to options for doing that, one is online and one is manually...if I remember correctly; and if it doesn't work...the Tech Support is always handy and helpful :D

Cheers!

3. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Yes, I thought of it and I sure hope there have been some enhancements, it's tripled in price since I purchased it in 2002.

4. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Why don't you consider TrueCrypt a reliable competitor?

Install v5.0a. It has fixed most (if not all) of the bugs in 5.0 that are immediate show stoppers. While I have not used TrueCrypt significantly yet, I have been working with it for about a month and it appears to be a solid software solution. Check out the known issues on the TrueCrypt website, and I'd suggest joining their forums as well to interact with the community. I'll try to answer anything I can if its within my knowledge here for you.

5. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks, Kooky ...

So far, I've spent most of my encryption reading here, but I'll get over to the TrueCrypt forum to see what's going on.

EdP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.