new Tor, :443 binding problem

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Belliger, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belliger

Belliger Registered Member

Hello, Help! with Tor configuration : )

I'm able to use my new (0.2.1.26) Tor setup fine, as a simple client.

But if I try to set up relaying for the Tor network, I always get an error message saying:

Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:443 {I understand that means, any IP address's, HTTPS port}
    Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:443: Permission denied [WSAEACCES]

This error code seems to be a specific Windows Socket error code, for which Microsoft says:

"WSAEACCES":

"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. An example is using a broadcast address for sendto without broadcast permission being set using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST).

"Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind function is called (on Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 (SP4) and later), another application, service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 with SP4 and later, and is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option."

This doesn't suggest to me a way to fix the problem. I'm using MS Vista + Service Pack 2.

I've tried opening all the firewalls I can find, - viz. (1) Disable my Windows Firewall, (2) Open my F-Secure Firewall specifically to Vidalia, (3) Enter permissions for every option in my Ethernet card, (4) Disable my Belkin Router firewall, and (5) Re-boot. This doesn't fix it.

I've tried editing my torrc file to allow 0.0.0.0:443 listening. This just seems to confuse things, at least with the syntax I've tried.

I don't seem to have any other prpgram already binding onto :443 and excluding Tor, - I'm not using HTTPS simultaneously in any other context.

I've tried everythingg I can think of! Anybody got any other ideas I could try?

Best wishes,

Bell

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

You can try to find help at one of the links on the Tor Contact webpage. There might be some information regarding your problem in the Tor Wiki which looks like it is used for tracking problems.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.