New to True Image (Not convinced either!)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SportiveUK, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SportiveUK

SportiveUK Registered Member

Hi,

I have used Norton Ghost for years but as there is not a Vista version and True Image comes highly recommended, I thought I would give it a go. I do have a couple of questions though:

• I am creating an image of a partition using the software within windows and I expected it to re-boot to actually create the image but it appears to be doing whilst still in windows. How can it possibly create a bit-for-bit image whilst files etc are still being used and drivers still loaded?

• I also tried the bootable CD and the one that came in the box does not recognise any optical drives present, which is rather pointless in the event of disaster although this was corrected by creating a new bootable CD. But more annoying is that my mouse does not work when loading the software from the bootable CD... it works fine when choosing between full and safe modes but once True Image loads, nothing. Is this normal?

All in all, given I am trying to make a recovery image in the event of something nasty happening, I am not gaining much confidence in this software. I'd appreciate any comments about the points above though and any information on the issues I have come across implying that even if I have to restore, Vista may not boot without additional work.

Many thanks

Andrew

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

welcome to the unreliable world of Acronis products.
    have you already brought acronis true image 10?
    I have had the same sort of problems with corropt images and restore cd that wont boot. im in the middle of replacing acronis true image 9.
    1. it makes an image using a driver that intercepts all the data. its called hot imaging. the imaging your used to is called cold imaging which makes backup's outside of windows.

~Off topic comments removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  3. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

You can make a full backup while remaining active on the computer. For restore you can select an option (in Tools) to not replace a file which has a later date.

Suggest you find the thread which guides you in building a BartPE CD with ATI plugin (with appropriate drivers) and that operates with Windows.

Provided you make a full image backup and a full image restore (including disk 1) Vista will boot.

4. como

como Registered Member

What version and build are you using, if you bought the boxed version as against a download version your build may have been superceeded. Register your serial number on the Acronis website and check you have the latest build if not download and install the latest build, you will need to make a new rescue CD.

5. Fuzzy John

Fuzzy John Registered Member

You must have been a user of an old version of Norton Ghost. Drive Image 7 and subsequently Norton Ghost 9 and 10 (after Symantec took over) have been capable of doing the exact same thing... create an image of the system drive from within Windows.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

First of all yes it is fine to make an image from Windows whilst there are files open. See :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=754303&postcount=3

Secondly the most likely reason that your rescue disk cannot see your drives is that your hardware is newer than the drivers on your rescue disk. This leapfrogging is normal, and Acronis publish updates to to the software periodically. Assuming you have v10, once you have registered your software you can download the latest build and create a rescue disk with the latest and greatest drivers.

Please disregard lodore's unhelpful and unbalanced comments. I am also amazed that the moderators allow him to advertise rival products in this forum. The truth about Acronis is that their support is a little slow but normally always comes through; the product is at the moment probably best of breed. 99% of problems experienced IMHO are either down to faulty hardware or inadequate drivers. The software itself works very well.

F.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anytime you see a post that is off topic for the Acronis forum, use the report post feature or pm a moderator.

8. SportiveUK

SportiveUK Registered Member

I have Norton Ghost 2003 so I guess that's quite a bit older.... I guess I am just so used to the process!

I think some of the comments have put my mind at ease. The first thing I did was register and download the latest build and it appears that both the image written to DVD & another HD are complete, so that's good news. Let's hope I never need to restore anything!

Andrew

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Wrong!!! Get a spare HD and do a restore right away. You don't want to find out you can't do it when the disk has died. Until you know restores work you haven't got a backup.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

100% Agree.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SportiveUK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis True Image uses snapshot technology which allows backing up of a hard drive in use. Please see this post for details.
    If you are using an USB mouse, please make sure it's enabled in BIOS (USB legacy support or USB mouse support). Please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.
    Please notice that you can navigate the menus using Tab and arrows keys.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.