New to TI Home 2009 - Recovery Mgr Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bartimus, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartimus

Bartimus Registered Member

I have successfully created a bootable CD and made an initial disk image to my external HD.

Now I am looking at the Recovery Manager and wonder how it works. It sounds like I will get a prompt for F11 upon every boot-up in case I may need to recover. Is that right? It sounds like a worthwhile feature, but I am a little wary about changing the boot sequence. Is this something most everyone does?

Also, the Secure Zone allows you to create backups on a internal HD. I take it this is a convenience that allows you to fetch backups without having to fire up external media. Is that it?

Thanks,
    Bart

2. dh27564

dh27564 Registered Member

I have a Dell desktop using XP-Pro SP3. During the startup, I can change the boot sequence by pressing the F12 key. That would let me select the CD as the start up drive. Problem I had was pressing the F12 key at just the right time. Often it just booted normally from the hard disk. I eventually went into the BIOS and changed my startup sequence to look for a bootable CD first. If there's nothing there, then the hard disk is next. This works like a charm if the Acronis disk or any other bootable disk is in the CD at startup. I am no expert with computers but changing the start sequence was very simple.

In regards to the Startup Manager and Secure Zone, I chose not to install them after reading some of the problems folks here were having with them.

I believe that since you have a recovery disk and are storing the image on an external HD, you wouldn't really need those 2 items. I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable than I am will be able to offer more advice.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bart,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

I agree with dh27564, if you are able to use Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, you don't need Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. Creating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager changes the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the hard disk drive, which is essential for the system boot.

Some third-party software also change the MBR, and this can lead to Acronis Startup Recovery Manager malfunction. That's why using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media is preferable.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.