New To TDS--Some Basic Questions??

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by polak, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polak

polak Registered Member

I recently purchased a Registered version of TDS and am running it on XP Pro. Have a number of questions to ask that I hope can, for ease of response, be answered for the most part with yes or no.

1) Do I need to be connected to the internet to activate the Execution Protection component of TDS??

2)I noticed that Execution Protection has an install and uninstall feature to it. Can Execution Protection be installed, uninstalled and then re-installed if the user chooses to use the Execution Protection function intermittently??

3)Currently run Norton AntiVirus (Auto Protect Activated);SpywarGuard(Real Time Scanning Engine, Download Protection, and Browser Hijack Protection enabled);Zonealarm Pro 4.0 (Mobile Code Contol enabled to block scripts, mime objects,embedded objects).If Execution Protection is enabled to run, can it run simultaneously with the software currently on my machine without any conflicts or problems created between TDS and those software programso_O

4)When I am running a TDS scan or doing a TDS Data base update, do I need to shut down all the scanning functions of SpywareGuard, Norton AntiVirus and SpyWareGuard to avoid any possible conflicts?? i.e Do I need to shut SpywarGuard and ZoneAlarm off totally as well as disable Auto Protect in Norton AntiViruso_O

5)I also have RegProt and Startup Monitor (Mike Lin) both running to alert to any unwanted entries to my computer. Are there any known conflicts/ problems running RegProt and Startup Monitor with running Execution Protection, Scanning with TDS or doing TDS Data Updateo_O

6)After enabling Execution Protection within TDS are the default settings sufficent to provide adequate protection or are there specific recommendations for configuring the Executive Protection Component of TDSo_O

7)Kind of a dumb question, but is Executive Protection the same thing as WormGuard??

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Polak, I'll try to get as near to get as near to Yes and No as possible :D

1. No

2. You can install & uninstall as you please - Remember though that Executive protection is only running if TDS3 is running in the backround ie. Icon in the system tray.

3. No conflicts, Executive protection only runs when programmes are started, you may notice a very slight delay as TDS3 checks the starting programme

4. It is always better to shut down other resident scanners when doing a full scan

5. No known conflicts :)

6. Yse, you can ensure that all the scan options are selected and that the generic options are enabled with generic sensitivityset to high.

7. No

Hope I've not missed anything ;) - Pilli

3. polak

polak Registered Member

pilli,

Thanks for you response.

As always, questions lead to answers and answers lead to more question. After reading your response, I noticed that the only time that the TDS icon shows up in the system tray is when I have manually activated TDS to run. After I manually activate TDS, the TDS icon comes up and when I shut down TDS the icon disappears in the system tray. If I check processes in Task Manager, TDS does not show up unless I manually activate TDS.

How do I get TDS running in the backgroundo_O

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Polak,
    start TDS, in the configuration set it to minimize to systray, safe, so when you minimize it it is there.

5. polak

polak Registered Member

Jooske,

Thanks.

Followed your configuration directions. TDS icon in system tray still only stays up if I have manually activated TDS program and disappears from system tray when I shut down TDS.

Noticed in the configuartion area that a choice is also given under "Start Up State" which has a choice of "normal" and "minimized". Mine is checked for "normal". Do I need to change from the selection of "normal" to "minimized" and then save.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes polak, you can have TDS to start minimised or as you can see from my screenshot you can then click the minimise button to put it in the System tray: Then Save your configuration.

Attached Files:

7. polak

polak Registered Member

Pilli/Jooske,

Thanks for the help. Got everything all set up.

Polak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.