New to ESET Remote Administrator Console and Configuration Editor

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by toiletvictorious, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toiletvictorious

toiletvictorious Registered Member

Hey all,
    We're looking to upgrade our current Remote Administration Server from 3.X to 4.X. I've installed 4.X on a test server and exported our 3.X client settings over. I've been reviewing those settings along with looking at the new available settings and have plenty of questions. This is my first time looking at the administrator tools.

First question right off the bat, where can I read more about "potentially unsafe applications" and "potentially unwanted applications?" I would like our fleet of machines to be secured but don't want to be constantly dealing with false positive or broken tech tools (VNC and such).

If anyone has any helpful links to share, I'd be extremely grateful. The manual only provides a brief overview of things in general.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello toiletvictorious,

You can use our Knowledgebase to look up articles related to ESET Remote Administrator (ERA): http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=home

As you have mentioned we have the ERA User Guide: http://download.eset.com/manuals/eset_era_4_userguide_enu.pdf

We also have a ERA setup guide: http://www.eset.com/resources/manuals/ERA_Basic_Setup_Guide.pdf

Finally, please feel free to respond with whatever questions you may have and I will do my best to respond and ask my more technical sources for any question that I'm unable to answer. Our customer base, moderator staff and the Wilders staff are all very knowledgeable.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Potentially unsafe applications

There are many legitimate programs which serve to simplify the administration of networked computers. However, in the wrong hands, they may be misused for malicious purposes. This is why ESET has created this special category. Our clients now have the option to choose whether the antivirus system should or should not detect such threats.
    "Potentially unsafe applications” is the classification used for commercial, legitimate software. This classification includes programs such as remote access tools, password-cracking applications, and keyloggers (a program recording each keystroke a user types).

If you find that there is a potentially unsafe application present and running on your computer (and you did not install it), please consult your network administrator or remove the application.

Potentially unwanted applications

Potentially unwanted applications are not necessarily intended to be malicious, but may affect the performance of your computer in a negative way. Such applications usually require consent for installation. If they are present on your computer, your system behaves differently (compared to the state before their installation). The most significant changes are:

new windows you haven’t seen previously are opened
    activation and running of hidden processes
    increased usage of system resources
    changes in search results
    application communicates with remote servers

From ESET help (F1)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.