New to Antivir, please help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by innerpeace, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm trying Antivir PE classic and have a few questions. I'm running it with the programs in my sig. except of course Avast which I uninstalled. Does the sched.exe need to be running or is it normal to be running when I don't have anything checked as activated in the scheduler? Also, when I look in OA2's firewall status, I see that avguard.exe/TCP is listening at local address *:18350 : remote address *.* Is this also normal or not. Thanks for looking :).

I don't use an email program, but didn't see that Avira had that option.

innerpeace

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The scheduler service is required for the updater, you cannot disable it - or you must manually download the updates. The guard module uses local TCPIP communication, when you block it the tray icon shows a closed umbrella (but the guard still blocks all malware, just without popup).

3. innerpeace

Thank you Stefan for your quick reply. You have put my mind at ease :). I received an error while installing and on the first reboot, the umbrella didn't open. I then activated Avira and then rebooted a 2nd time and everything is now fine.

I always update my programs manually, is there any way to stop the process from starting within Antivir? To the best of my knowledge, I had task scheduler set to manual. If not, no big deal. Thanks again

innerpeace

Edit: I also found this about the TCPIP connection if anyone was interested in more details which are over my head.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Just uncheck the checkbox on the scheduler page in the GUI to prevent the auto-updating.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I run avira classic and and OA2 firewall, and apart from the initial allowing of OA popups when first setting up ( of which avira has a few!) I have no problems. It does listen on that port, and as you have found out from the info you posted, if it gets blocked there, the umbrella shuts!

Yesterday I was surfing sandboxed in opera when avira poped up to say it had caught a virus (only my second ever), I quaratined it, emptied the sandbox and looked in the quarantine area, nothing there.

Avira and sandboxie work well together:)

6. innerpeace

Thanks Stefan

@ stapp You are right about the popups :eek: . I usually disable my security programs before an install, but this time I didn't. I need to ask sometime about the best way to install new software when running OA2. I really like using Sbie and now I know what to expect if Avira would catch something, which I hope it never does. Were you running just Opera in the sandbox at the time?

Thanks, innerpeace

Edit: stapp, I'm also following the post by trjam about sbie.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.