New To Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danaka, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danaka

danaka Registered Member

Hi friends, I am newbie
    I have just purchased Acronis True Image 2009. and have never use any backup.
    The program menu have several functions. and not sure what to do, since I do not want to mess up, I would need your advise
    Installation was successful after 2nd attempt.

I have win vista x.32, divided into 3 partition ;
    c= windows vista (space=140GB, occupied = 114GB)
    d= Hewlett Packard Full backup /restore files (7GB)
    e= my data files (1GB)

1) how to do Full imaging backup for drive [c;] only, just incase OS crash.
    2) how to do Full imaging backup for entire HDD, Just incase Hard drive do not function

Have some reading and do not know which one to choose for media storage for backup;
    a. External USB Drive / Mini drive, (read about mechanical problem sometimes)
    b. Solid State Drive (SSD)- which is more durability
    c. USB Flash.

much appreciate your help
    regards

2. rekees

rekees Registered Member

Do full backup (not incremental or differential) then to backup C: just select c. To backup entire HDD select c,d & e.

For storage I use external USB drive. Fast enough for the amount of data you have and nowadays you can buy 1 terabyte for around $100 bucks!

The main thing you want to backup is your personal files since those can not be restored if lost. Frequently put those in a safe place on a DVD or CD outside your dwelling in case of fire, etc. External drive isn't going to be of much use if melted.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

I'll generally resonate with the previous poster. Make full image backups of your entire drive. You may choose to take incrementals or differentials at more frequent intervals. Personally, I stick to full backups only. Also, it will not be necessary for you to take separate backup images of your OS partition only, because you can selectively choose the OS partition from the full disk image when performing a restore function with ATI, if that's the only partition you need or want to restore.

I also vote for an external USB hard drive. If possible, purchase two to support a rotation scheme, and keep one of them off-site in case of site disaster, theft, etc, as mentioned above.

Regarding personal files, you may want to use a secondary means of backing those up, i.e., using another backup program or simple copy function (or using ATI as the secondary; I use a different backup program as my primary and more frequent means of backing up personal data). I also use different target disks for my primary personal data backups than for my ATI backups.

Doug

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

danaka,

Since you are new to backups and ATI, I believe it would be beneficial to you if you were to read my guides listed on line 2 of my signature below. While these were written for versions prior to 2009, the procedures are still the same--just the sample screens will differ.

If you have the time, I believe you will also find the sticky found on line 1 of my signature also helpful. These are the topics found at the bottom of he first post within the sticky.

Also, be sure and create your TI Rescue CD and make sure it will boot your system and that you can simulate performing a restore.

How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Have some reading and do not know which one to choose for media storage for backup;
    a. External USB Drive / Mini drive, (read about mechanical problem sometimes)
    b. Solid State Drive (SSD)- which is more durability
    c. USB Flash.

much appreciate your help
    regards

Actually , you should use at least 2 different types-I use an Ext. H..Drive AND A Flash Drive(in case one or the other ever breaks).:)

6. danaka

danaka Registered Member

Hi all
    Thank you all
    the link would be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.