New to Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tallin, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallin

tallin Registered Member

Good day.

I have just purchased, installed and registered Acronis True Image 10 to take care of backups on my new Laptop built for me recently. I have done three backups, am very pleased with Acronis but I have one question?

I opened an account during the Registration process and while looking around I was offered an update of 102MB. I downloaded the update and was surprised when I double clicked on it that it was an Application and not an update. I was then offered the following options:

*modify
    *repair
    *remove

Surely a new installation would not need to do any of the above options when every thing is working just as it should be. Why does an update show as an Application and not an update and so large a file?

Just learning about Acronis, so would someone please explain the above to me.

thanks. :oops:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tallin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that new builds of Acronis True Image are released as a complete installation packs. It would seem you already have the latest (4942) build of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home installed, thus the choices presented. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. tallin

tallin Registered Member

Thanks for your post and reply to my query.

That is exactly the point I am making, I know I have Acronis True Image 10.0 version build (4942) so why when I go to my Acronis account/downloads/ does it offer me an update of 102MB (4942) build when I already have it in the initial installation. Makes it very confusing for a new Acronis user.

As time goes by do you offer updates for my installation (Acronis True Image 10.0 version build (4942) or is the first installation the only one with no updates? :doubt:

I run Nortons Ghost 10 on my PC and it offers live updates periodically.

thank you and kind regards,

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Updates, when they become available will be a full installation package in a single file. The update page will always shows the latest such file. No need to install a package unless it has a higher build number than the version you have installed.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Yes, you will be entitled to download any updates (builds) for your particular version which is V10.

6. tallin

tallin Registered Member

Sheiber and GroveH,

Thanks for your posts in reply.

I am now clear on what the Update page means within my account, but fail to understand why it would offer an Application as an update to confuse a new Acronis owner. What it should say on my Update page is "your software is up to date," or "there are no updates for your software". If it did, I would have had no reason for these posts.

I also do realize I would have access to any updates for Acronis True Image 10.0 version build (4942) as a registered user if they become available.

My actual question was:
    When I run 'live update'"with Ghost 10 I am immediately told either there are updates or there are not for my running software which keeps things simple and straightforward to the end user in my opinion.

However Acronis is different so I must learn their ways against Ghost 10's!

kind regards,

7. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

Symantec LiveUpdate uses a special program that can send information and retrieve updates from Symantec's servers. Acronis does not have the equivalent. They have a simple web page that allows you to download your own updates. Your browser cannot send information about the version of software installed to Acronis' web server. so they cannot tell if you are running the latest version or not. And that's a good thing. You wouldn't want your browser to send that kind of information about your system. I suppose Acronis could create an ActiveX control to do something like that, but I'd rather keep track of what version I have installed on my own.

8. tallin

tallin Registered Member

Thanks for your explanation as to how Acronis updates work!

As previously mentioned Acronis is different from Ghost in the way it updates customers software (I am learning as my signature states) the difference in these two excellent backup and recovery software programs.

Bye the way, Acronis does know what software and version I am running as we must not forget it is registered with Acronis and the registration # is stated within my account details.

kind regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.