New to Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cybernomad, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybernomad

cybernomad Registered Member

Hi,

Windows XP Professional SP 3
    Acronis True Image Home 2009

I have 2 hard disks: 500 GB Seagate and 80 GB Seagate.

The 500 GB has 2 partitions C: (65 GB)(primary)(system) and D: (400 GB)(extended)(data).

The 80 GB has 1 partition (extended)

I used the Acronis True Image Home 2009 to create a Secure Zone (20.02 GB) on the 80 GB hard disk. I also started the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

I took backups of the computer but did not save them in the Secure Zone. Will Startup Recovery recognize those backups not saved in Secure Zone. Should I save all backups in the secure zone? Why is the Secure Zone FAT32 and not NTFS?

Now, I read in the help file that TI erases the original MBR and writes its own boot code. Will that harm my OS in any way? What are the worst case scenarios of this rewriting the boot record.

Is using Secure Zone advised and recommended or should I stick to normal Backups saved on the D: or E: drive.

One more thing I want to ask is, If I have to reinstall my OS completely (Suppose something goes Awfully wrong) will I able to recover the 20 GB taken up by Secure Zone? Or will the new installation of Acronis TI in the new reinstalled OS automatically recognize the secure zone?

I am very new to this backup and restore thing. I was one of the people who didnt give a damn about backing up data. But after some recent happenings I've changed my mind. Could someone please explain me or point some useful sites.

Also please explain the various ways of backup and restore using TI. ( at least name some ways)

Thanx for ur patience in reading this and thanx again if u r willing to help.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, the startup recovery assumes the backups are in the SZ. Don't know the reason but it always is FAT32; it isn't a problem.

Shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario is that the PC won't boot anymore.

Unless there is a reason you need it then I prefer just storing the backups where I want. There can be some automatic backup management in the SZ but this now is supposedly available by setting up the tasks. I don't do any of it myself preferring just to do straight manual unscheduled backups. The SZ was originally intended to provide a partition to store archives in on systems that had only 1 partition.

You do not want to store your backups in D since that is on the same HD as your OS. Put your backups on the second physical drive. You can put backups of other data on the second physical drive in D if you wish.

I believe TI will find the SZ if you have to reinstall it.

Look at the links under Groverh's signature in post #3 in this random thread that had a Groverh post in it.

Also, read the TI User Guide as well.

3. cybernomad

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate that you took time to answer every one of my questions. However, some of the answers have evoked other questions in my mind. I hope you would answer them pretty soon.

When you say the PC wouldnt boot anymore, do you mean to say that neither Acronis startup and Recovery nor Windows OS will be able to boot. You have given a possible worst case problem. What would be the best solution if this happens?

I think I would follow your advice and not use the secure zone and Startup and Recovery and take normal backups as you do.
    Please tell me whether Acronis TI will rewrite the original MBR when I delete the Secure Zone or disable Startup and Recovery.
    What happens to the partition space used by SZ when I disable it. Will it be automatically added to my existing partition or will it become unallocated space which I would have to add to my existing partition using Disk Management or Disk Director.
    What would happen if I delete the Secure Zone partition using Disk Management in Windows now i.e. without deactivating the SZ and Startup and Recovery?

I'll follow that and I think that I will even put all my data files backup on the second physical drive.

Well, that's a good thing.

The link is not working, though I found Groverh in the memberlist and have seen the links in the signature. Thanx Groverh if you read this.

I read a lot of things in the User Guide before coming here. It has loads of basic conceptual information about backups and stuff, but much of the info regarding TI lists the step by step procedure to perform tasks.

Suppose I take only normal backups like you do and my system crashes and my PC does not boot, how do I perform the Restore Operation?

Thanx once again Seekforever, for the help.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

cybernomad,

Retry the links in my signature below. Which one is not working?

My restore guide on line 2 of my signature provides a good method to restore your archive. Or the guide on line 3 if moving to a larger drive.

5. cybernomad

Hi Groverh,

I meant to point out to Seekforever that the link to the thread he had provided me was not working. I didnt mean to say that the links in your signature are not working.

Thanx again for the help and keep up the good work that you are doing.

6. cybernomad

Hi Groverh,

If you are comfortable with it, could you please tell us how you do your backups...with some of the details how many hard disks you use and and do u store one in a secure location away from the location of ur machine.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I mean your OS will not reboot. The solution depends on what the problem is but if you don't run a dual-boot restoring a normal MBR would likely fix the problem. If that should ever happen there are people on this forum who understand fixing up boot ini files and the like to get the linkages properly restored.
    AFAIK, TI will put back a working MBR if you do the removal of the startup and recovery.

It will give you some options as to where you wish to allocate the space or leave it unallocated.

No idea but don't do it. Manage all of TI's special partitions, features and quirks with TI only. You wouldn't go and delete MS-Access database table files with Windows Explorer would you?

You boot up the TI rescue CD. It must run period. So you should boot up the TI rescue CD now and ideally do a test restore to a spare HD. A spare one in case it dies. If you don't want to do a test restore then the next best thing is to validate the archive using the rescue CD. This shows the Linux environment on the rescue CD can find and properly read the archive into memory and reconstruct the 4000 checksums per gigabyte of archive data. If this works then go through the Restore Wizard up to the point where you have to click on Proceed; cancel out at this point.

You're welcome.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

My backup strategy is disk option backups to other internal disks (my computer has 4 internal disks) with daily incrementals. New full backup make each week.

Additionally, I have all my personal data copied by Karen's Replicator each night to other internal disks.
    Additionally, I have 4 external eSata and/or USB externals and I randomly have a new full disk option backup created to alternating externals while keeping an assortment of old backups.
    Additinally, I will occasionally copy my *.tib backup archive from internal disk to DVD's.

Keep in mind that the image backup's are for the same computer. Should you upgrade to a different computer, then it is your personal data plus your purchases of software that will help you the most. When upgrading to a new computer, you usually must do a fresh install of all your programs.

If you have the time and want some reading material, these links might be of interest regarding backup strategies. The first one is a new posting by Tatou which is very good. Plus, I particularly like the strategy by Xpilot where he uses caddies to maintain a very good process. However, you must assess your risks and prepare accordingly.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1383642&postcount=13

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=224124

My backup strategy Escalader
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159177

Backups
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1036066#29

SAVE MY MUSIC COLLECTION! PLEASE (29 replies --2 pages)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167710

Recommend backup scheme for photos, music 32 replies--2 pages
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164175

An improved method to backup a PC by Xpilot
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136754

Lightning strike- Yes they do happen
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150083

Fix Vista so a Repair is not needed after a restore or clone
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185731

9. cybernomad

Thanx for the help evryone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.