New threat: Spyaxe

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by uclajd, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tried downloading the zip file but could only see one .exe inside can anyone help

2. trbinrat

trbinrat Guest

using a restore point worked for me. Just wanted to thank every one for the help.

3. pa-cattle

pa-cattle Registered Member

Hello . After trying just about everything for free on the net for the last 24 Hrs
    I went to Target
    and bought SpySweeper by Web root.
    took it home installed it and 15 minutes later . Spyaxe was gone for Good! :)
    plus 127 other ones.it was way to easy . dont fight it like I did.

4. traumapaNE

traumapaNE Registered Member

I acquired SpyAxe and even though AdAware said it was removed, it wasn't. SpyBot found it but told me it could not delete it, suggested re-running after a reboot, but same result.

I actually used the file from Noahdfear, smitrem.exe...and it worked! Hardest part for a novice was getting into safe mode. Not sure if smitRem did any damage? Also, how the heck did SpyAxe get to my computer in the first place--any certain sites, or can it just download to any broadband-connected PC?

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

The new SpywareStrike infection can be fixed using the same procedures to fix SpyAxe. SmitRem has been updated to deal with the new techniques used by the SmitFraud criminals. Ewido has also added SpywareStrike definitions, but SmitRem is the key. The link to my post is earlier in this topic, but here it is again.

6. Deakster

Deakster Guest

I've sent them 1,000,000 emails to spyaxe complainting about their illegal activities. Still not enough concidering the damage they have done to our network - Deakster

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2006
  7. qwesa

qwesa Guest

can some tell how this affection occu/*-rs?

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

drive by installs using various OS and IE vulnerabilities. like the wmf exploit

9. rsue

rsue Guest

so if i use opera or firefox no problem for me?

10. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Sending emails to Spyaxe is a waste of time. It is much better to send a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and the Center for Democracy and Technology. They both have online forms you can fill out to complain. The FTC will take action if enough people complain. They just shut down Spykiller and SpywareAssassin and fined them 2 million dollars.

11. white wolf

white wolf Registered Member

Thanks to all of you who posted for this topic.:D

For the first time in two weeks my macine is now free of the annoying spyaxe popup balloon. I have tried Norton, Adaware and Spybot. All located and got rid of the program, but none could get rid of the taskbar trojan until smitRem fom Noahdfear.

My experience might be helful to others. I got this infection just before christmas. :'( Symantec.com does have a Spyaxe virus fix on their security response search engine. Its effective, especially in the instructions that get rid of the regedid resident reistries. for me, this was the first time removing regedid components, which was enlightening.

However, none of the Spyaxe solutions at symantec removed the taskbar trojan, and of course the infection just came back. The new Windows XP patch blocks the reinstallation, but does nothing to get rid of the taskbar Trojan. There is by the way an older Trojan that Symantec knows about called Trojan.spaxe that produces a popup window and icon that looks very similar to spyaxe. However, none of the registry values for Trojan.spaxe were on my machine so the fix does not work. I am not sure if this is a ealier version of the spyaxe trojan or not. Maybe some of you more experienced virus killers can tell me.

Anyway, my thanks again to Noahdfear for the solution to this very vexing problem. I am so impressed with the community. Its great to have creative people willing to help.

Dave Coopersmith
    Vancouver, BC

12. sleber

sleber Guest

This list posted yesterday at 935a works. Thanks. Robert, Mobile, AL

13. relieved

relieved Guest

Worked a treat after many days of regedit visits !

14. sw2001

sw2001 Registered Member

Smitrem couldn't get rid of that annoying message in systray. Spy Sweeper found all the suspicious entries. The free version doesn't delete the stuff --> removal manually ... what a job :doubt:

But at least it's gone now :)

15. AcousticDistortion

AcousticDistortion Registered Member

Well, I just got it the other day, and I got rid of it with the smitrem.exe, but my internet explorer keeps popping up active x controls and I can't download anything or use some online stuff, such as online spyware scanners, open video and sound files.

I'm not sure how to change that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.