New system security softs advice

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TauAlphaNu, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TauAlphaNu

TauAlphaNu Registered Member

Hello, all. I use to remember when there was a main software review page/site with ratings in addition to the forums. As you can see, it's been awhile...long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm in the process of getting a new computer and transitioning my OS to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Problem is that it has been quite some time since I looked into security solutions. Back when I was researching security softs, AV's and firewalls were the main ticket. Now it's a different ball game with malware, rootkits, keyloggers, and such. The more exotic security measures of disk imaging, virtualization, and encryption are more mainstream than they use to be (to me, at least).

I'd like to gather just enough security softs to install on my new system in order to cover as many bases as I can short of not connecting my computer to the internet, heh. I'm hoping the good people here at wilders can help in my quest of putting together a lean, complete, and cohesive security suite through helping me avoid incompatible and unnecessary software choices, locking myself out of my system (did this once with my firewall), and making recommendations based on the new Win 7 64-bit environment.

I'd like to state that I have perused a good deal of the other wilders' forums and have googled/checked some of the names of software I have seen mentioned in various posts. This is what I've come up with so far:

-AV/Malware/Firewall: ESET Smart Security 4

-Keylogger: Keyscrambler Premium

-Disk Imaging: Paragon or Macrium? How does the Win 7 Shadow Guard Restore Point service compare to 3rd party roll back softs like Rollback RX?

-Virtualization and HIPS: SandboxIE for virtualization. I'm not sure about the HIPS/policy option...GeSWall?

-Password manager: KeePass or Roboform?

-Encrpytion: Truecrypt for files. I deal with other people's sensitive information regularly and I'm not sure what to use for e-mail and IM? I use Outlook/Web-based (Yahoo and Gmail) and AIM.

-Privacy: No clue here. Need something to wipe browser (I'll be using IE) history, temp internet files, cookies, and document shredding with multiple overwrite deletion. Will browsing with a proxy help cut down spam?...if so, any suggestions.

I'd like to point out that I use LogMeIn for work-related purposes. Is it a secure application or is there something better? Lastly, any performance software recommendations (ie. defrag, sweeper,..) to keep the ole system lean and speedy? Thanks, all.

P.S. I hope my netiquette wasn't in poor taste by posting here. The thread seemed to touch on several aspects and thought it would be proper to consolidate them into one rather than seven or eight of them.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Hi TauAlphaNu :)

I'm also transitioning to Windows 7 x64. You can IMHO have very strong security in Windows 7 x64 by using what's already built into the OS - such as using a standard user account for everyday activities. Then perhaps use anti-execution technology such as Software Restriction Policies or AppLocker. Use UAC on highest setting. If feasible, do admin stuff by switching to an admin account when needed, and don't do anything risky while in the admin account. Use DEP and SEHOP for all programs. Install only software that you trust - anti-malware scanners and website reputation software such as Web of Trust can help you with that.

Some threads I'd recommend visiting, if you haven't already:
    Maximising Windows 7 security with SRP under LUA (whatever the win7 version)
    Anyone running AppLocker?
    Audit Windows permissions with freeware Windows Permission Identifier
    New to Windows, need advice on 7x64 security

I've used both Paragon and Macrium Reflect. I recommend Macrium Reflect over Paragon.

For privacy, CCleaner may fit the bill.

TrueCrypt should work fine on x64.

If you're doing a lot of sensitive work in a browser, you may look into Prevx SafeOnline in addition to or instead of using KeyScrambler. Prevx SafeOnline has done well in browser security tests.

I don't intend on using sandboxing software or HIPS on Windows 7 x64.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.