New Shadow Defender is out, Version 1.1.0.275 - October 6, 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by demoneye, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Just a thought perhaps a stupid one but if at all possiable,what I like see in the exclusions for like saving changes to updates and so forth is some sort smart file or registry finder to locate whats needed to the exclusion to hold changes such as AV after reboot, rather then digging through it.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I see what you're saying djohn.

But then you might have some users 'accidentally' excluding something that shouldn't be. Then they might later say Shadow Defender let some 'nasties' through.

Personally, I like how robust the program currently is. Nothing gets through.

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

The updates remain after exiting Shadow Mode if Avira folders from program files &All users/Application Data are excluded,on xp pro.

4. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

yes they remain , but after restart , avira does not feel them
    it behaves as if it is outdated , and warns u that many days since last update

for avira to remember after reboot that it is up to date
    it needs exclusion of some avira's registery keys as well

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you have to keep in mind like the person who was trying to commit the entire C: drive that, if you exclude or commit massive amounts of data or folders, you really defeat the purpose of having SD.

6. Saraceno

I think registry exclusions would work for us, as in, those careful with what they are doing.

But added features could make the program confusing for the regular user.

For example, users who mention how effective the program is with protecting say 'the son's computer', those added features could pose problems.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but sometimes keeping it so simple is what makes the product so effective.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally agree :thumb:

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Also on exclusions for example If setting it up for children, if password protected was added to exclusion then it could be set only authorized users can make committ changes to be saved.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Okay, found it !

To update and retain Avira in shadow mode, exclude the following folders :

C:\Program Files\Avira\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ {username} \Avira\
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\

(The third exclusion is what many people miss out):ninja:

It didn't mention registry update is needed and one user reported success with these folders exclusion.:cool:

Anyone can try and report results here ? *puppy*

10. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Third exclusion is dangerous one and not valid, find actual *.sys (file) better, not entire folder especially not THAT ~~shiver~~ folder...*puppy*

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agree....btw this exclusion is mentioned by the mod on Avira forum.

12. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

That mod should be baned for advices like that, it is one of most sensitive folder you can imagine and it needs to be protected (if you do not wanna pick some nastiness e.g. rootkit or similar)

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

+1 o_O

14. Saraceno

I think if you're wanting to exclude a growing number of folders, have programs updating all the time, and can't do without these, then SD might not be the program for you.

You'd be better off trying/using one of the many top behavior blockers available (mamutu, malware defender).

See, I can't help but install programs/games, and try various tools out, and usually, most of the time I regret installing them. And my brain is always dead so pop-ups/alerts were stressing it out! So I'm loving this program. :)

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't write this off yet. :ninja:

I vaguely recall there are only 2-3 files that Avira has inside the system32 folder that you can try exclude.:p

Anyone game enough to try ?*puppy*

16. munckman

munckman Registered Member

The way I remember it is https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1102305&postcount=24 but that is a year old so maybe things have changed. :oops:

But in a nutshell...
    ... things may have changed since then and now and if they have, I need to change something because I was talking about version 7 at the time. I'm running AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium V 8 (updated through Antir 7) but I still have the registry entry for V7.:doubt:

17. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

On a new xp image using a trial of total uninstall i did a custom installation of avira premium security suite.
    I installed only the antivirus (no webguard,no mailguard,no firewall,etc).
    Here is what Total uninstall showed regarding system 32.
    If anyone is interested i will install only the premium version with all features and display the log.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.