New Shadow Defender is out, Version 1.1.0.275 - October 6, 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by demoneye, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Thanks!

But Why don't I see any difference in the GUI?

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

'cos you missed it.:cool:

The developer add a feature in the GUI about the free space, etc.
    I think it's under the Option tab.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I have run it through the grinder since yesterday and so far flawless. Worked with, Avira, Eset, Geswall, Avast and Threatfire so far. Avast is really looking good in detection. It had been awhile since I installed the pro version.

Good work Tony.;) :thumb:

5. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I really like this software and I have a question, is there official forum for this software?
    I would like to suggest one feature on that forum, registry exclusion.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no official forum but here I guess. Plenty use it so you will get alot of help from Wilders Members.

Registry exclusion, Tonycn is the developer and member here, he will see your request or you can email him directly at
    support@shadowdefender.com

7. Einsturzende

Thank you :)

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

How effective is that at anything negative that could possibly be thrown at it? I ask because I'm considering this as a replacement for Sandboxie. In your opinion, would this be a effective replacement for SBIE?

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Aigle and Peter have tested it very extensively. It held up very well. I think there was one time a nasty wasnt detected and the vendor corrected that in 2 days. I would say that is is not a fly-by-night product and has risen to the top to be one of the more stable and productive products in the market.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep. I use it to protect my system when I am playing with nasty stuff in a VM machine.

Pete

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yep its on my to do purchase list.:thumb:

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks for the news.
    Can I install this on top of my existing SD or do I need to uninstall the old one first?
    Hugger

13. Einsturzende

No need for uninstallation, just run 1.1.0.275 installer to update existing installation
    You can run it along with sandboxie, I personally run: KIS 2009, sandboxie and shadow defender

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  14. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Wouldn't that be extremely repetative? That'd be (almost) like having two virtualization programs, right?

15. Einsturzende

Yes I believe so, but there is no interference between those two, in fact I run sandboxie all time, SD only on-demand (in certain situations)

16. Peter2150

This is exactly what I do.

Pete

17. Einsturzende

If there is registry exclusions in SD and some other usability changes/additions , I would consider dumping sandboxie ...for now SD is to "stiff" for me to use it all time, extra flexibility will be great till then only on-demand.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  18. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I've always loved Shadow Defender... as soon as I get a new computer I can use to myself, it's going on immediately. :D

19. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Einsturzende, I see your point and agree but...

Registry exclusions would be useful and at the same time could possibly be a hindrance (users would have to know specific registry entries for various programs). Presently, it is possible, say to, have SD on and update Avira AntiVir using a combination of file excludes and "disregarding the fact that AntiVir says that the definitions are NOT up-to-date" ; but in fact is really
    up-todate - across reboots. This is certainly not the best scenario.:eek: It is possible but not convenient and confusing to say the least.

It would be great if SD Users could selectively allow certain programs free reign to update and that the updates were retained across reboots. Sorry for stating the obvious.:isay:

Regards

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira updates are up to date while in Shadow mode. I stay in shadow mode for days sometimes and Avira updates so it is up to date. On a reboot, I manually click update and it just returns the updates to where they were before I came out of shadow mode.

21. Peter2150

Hi trjam

Only danger I see of staying constantly shadowed is if you run the temporary area out of space the system hangs, hence the new alert.

Tony what I would like to see is an option to specify a larger shadow file before going into shadow mode.

Pete

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well there is the graph to show you how much space is being used by SD. And if push came to shove, it is in a snapshot with FD-ISR.;)

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

trjam, if you know which folders to exclude, Avira can retain it's updates after you exit shadow mode. I recalled seeing someone asking that question which folders to exclude.

24. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

to retain avira's update
    u don't need to exclude folders only , but also u have to exclude some registery keys us well , while SD does not support such feature yet
    i asked tony about such feature many times long ago
    however another the low ratted clean slate support this feature , but i don't like it
    any way u can exit the shadow mode every 2 or 3 days and update it then re-enabled it
    best regards

25. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

After a reboot, I find it easy just to check for any windows updates, and update your AV, takes about 10 seconds, then start Shadow Defender (enter Shadow Mode).

Personally I don't see the need to exclude folders, just find the file you want to keep, right-click and select 'commit'.

So easy to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.