New Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BillyDick, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyDick

BillyDick Registered Member

Hi;

I have the latest build (796), xp pro, 20Gig drive C, 80Gig drive D and 80Gig Drive F (USB 2.0).

When I first started True Image, I did not initiate the Secure Zone or the Startup Recovery Manager.

I currently have True Image on a nightly schedule to create seperate, full images of both C and D drives to drive F.

I would now like to setup a Secure Zone on drive F and load the Startup Recovery Manager for the F11 capability on bootup.

Will I have to delete the images from the F drive before I create a Secure Zone?

Also, I have noticed a lot of threads in this forum relating to problems with recovery from USB 2.0 hard drives.

If I encounter a problem, what are the options?

Thanks

BillyDick

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have sufficient space on the F drive, you won't have to delete the previous images. However, you should be aware that Acronis can only guarantee a bootable C partition if the entire hard drive is backed up - that means all the partitions on the drive, C, D, and F. (The SecureZone is special and can be left out of the backup.) Obviously, if you have previous backups on F, you will be backing up backups which will make for a very large backup file.

In my personal experience, I have successfully restored the C drive and had it boot normally without backing up other partitions on the hard drive, but not everyone has that good luck.

As far as USB 2.0 external drives, I think all that can be said is to try it and then check the image. In most cases, there is no problem. However, for some people the image will be reported as corrupt. It's not clear what causes this. It may be the USB chipset or bad RAM or some other hardware problem. Because the failures are so random, the only thing you can do is to test it for your system. The odds are strongly in your favor for it to work perfectly in my opinion.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BillyDick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

It is not clear from your post whether your F: drive is your USB drive or a part of the internal disk. In any case you may create Acronis Secure Zone without deleting any files. Please note that you won't be able to copy image file to Acronis Secure Zone. the only way is to create them their directly.

In emergency case you may boot from Acronis Bootable CD (please make sure it is created with the latest build of Acronis True Image) and choose the "Restore Image" wizard. You may try to perform the operation even before the disaster happens: boot from Acronis Bootable CD and go to the screen with the "Proceed" button but do NOT press "Proceed". No changes are performed before you press "Proceed".

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello John,

Yes, that's usually the case provided the image is restored to the original source drive whose existing MBR hasn't been screwed by wayward software etc.

Regards

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I've even restored just the C partition from a 40GB drive partitioned into C and D to an older smaller drive for experimentation and had the smaller drive boot perfectly. The small drive had been FDISKED to remove all partitions and then again to create just one partition before I did the restore, so it had a good MBR.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.