New Sandboxie User Questions:

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by apathy, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hello,

I am going to buy Sandboxie and secure my browser and email client.
    There are a few questions I have and I appreciate all the help I get.

1.) If I run say Firefox in sandboxie and then run it out of sandboxie
    will my profile be incomplete somehow?

2.) Are there any 'ill effects' from running sandboxie?

3.) I noticed that when I ran sandboxie my synaptic touchpad wouldn't
    scroll, any idea how to fix that?

4.) How do I get files that I've downloaded from my browser in sandboxie?

Thanks much

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

For question 4) see this thread (the screenshots were for Opera):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1345027#post1345027

For question 1) usually any changes you make such as menu setups, bookmarks, and any other changes, must be done to a browser outside of sandboxie. Any changes made to a sandboxed browser won't be kept - which is the point of sandboxie, can prevent changes to a program and to your system.

For question 2) haven't heard of anyone experiencing problems while using the program.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Set all up outside SandboxIE, then use it everyday sandboxed. Also, browser and extension updating must be done unsandboxed AFAIK.

None. Just remember to recover things you want to keep, or you'll loose them.

Never had that problem. However, when I'm using SBIE and the sandboxed app is active, when I use the keyboard volume buttons I don't see the volume level on screen. If I click on the desktop or another window, I can see the volume level.

Sandboxie displays a window offering to recover downloaded files when you close all sandboxed apps or inmediatly when downloaded is completed, depending on your setup.

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i never can get my autoscroll of my logitech mx revolution mouse to work when i open firefox or ie on sandboxie

5. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Yes I have yet to get Synaptics working with Sandboxie.

I have a question.

If I start Thunderbird and then download 3 emails via a pop server via sandboxie then close Thunderbird and later run it again outside of the sandbox will I see the emails? The sandbox seems very secure but at the same time I don't want to lose emails.

Thanks much guys/gals.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You should be able to. I've done it with Outlook. Basically I leave the Outlook PST files outside the sandbox let it access them. An email with an evil attachment is contained when it is within the PST file and is harmless. When the email is opened in Outlook, the attachment runs in Sandboxie and is contained.

Same with firefox settings. You can pretty safely just give the config files access within sandboxie and then changes are saved.

Pete

7. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I find that is better in Sandboxie to configure your quick recovery folders in advance of ever downloading anything...or you may find that you have downloaded something and you don't see it in Windows Explorer when quick recovered. You can retrospectively make a new quick recovery folder to accomodate to that file but easier to setup in advance.

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Does anyone know any sites to test for exploits so I can test out Sandboxie?
    Thanks much.

9. Peter2150

Links to any such sites can not be posted here.

Pete

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Can the sites be sent though PM with a warning that it will have malware/exploits to test in the sandboxo_O

11. Peter2150

Terms of Service

Pete

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

There not to hard to find with a little finger work and google.

13. apathy

apathy Registered Member

This is very interesting:

I got Firefox in the sandbox and have most of sandboxie's applications as untrusted in defensewall. Minefield starts out a bit slow but is sandboxed and protected by defensewall. It is like trying to urinate in full body armor ;)

Edit: Actually after the initial start it starts up just fine.. I'll just have to see how to save my firefox sessions.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  14. Peter2150

I am not sure I'd untrust Sandboxie in Defense Wall. You may be defeating it's ability to protect you. Why run it if you don't trust it.

Also note when running sandboxed firefox may appear untrusted but it really is.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.