** New Release **: ZoneAlarm antivirus-firewall combo 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fax

fax Registered Member

I don't think there is an option to disable the warnings. Please consider that main kernel drivers (AV and/or firewall) will be loaded even if you disable the features in ZA. It is simply not designed to be run in half baked form (i.e. only AV, only firewall, only on demand, etc...).

Please also note that the wide availability of webinstaller is to avoid users to install it in offline mode. ZA may not install correctly if offline. Connection is needed to configure properly various ZA components including, but not limited, the network setup and application control). The webinstaller will also take care of installing the right files for your OS and the language pack if on other languages. The full installer is gigantic and many user complained about it. Sorry. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That really sounds like poop. I don't believe it.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome zapjb! LOL
    You are indeed free not to beleive it :D :D

4. fax

fax Registered Member

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Probably a bad idea to post this comment as it might lead to a 'one versus the other' discussion, but...

I wonder if this (ZA) is a better overall solution than either the free suite from Outpost or CIS.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just meant about the install having to be online. Instead of getting a full download they gave us poop. Can't use it on dialup or offline PC. Glad you laughed.:D

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Anyone checked vsmon.exe process? I find 200+ MB memory consumption a bit absurd even for security suite (even free one).

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

On modern CPU's with 2/4/more core's and plenty of RAM it is not an issue, neither is the high disk I/O :D

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Due to autoupdate once in a day, I think you should not put it in your top 5 AV's. Average users may not know & even if they know they tend to forget to manually update the AV. This is my opinion.

10. khanyash

Under behaviour settings, in the final version 4 options are unchecked by default, right?

11. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

All the options were checked for me by default. The suite does use a bit of memory but as kees mentioned with more powerful cpu's and system loaded with ram and fast disks this is not an issue. Not sure how it would run on a single core, 512m, winxp machine.

All in all, I really like it. Any popups I get are really clear to understand. Plus I always liked zonealarms more info button that would give you a bit more information that made sense.

Ice

12. khanyash

You did a clean install or upgrade from beta?

I did a clean install & 4 options under behaviour are unticked.

Iam trying it on XP SP3 with 512 RAM without toolbar, running fine with occasional slight slow down & freeze.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Not surprised, minimum requirements are the following:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/system-requirements-zonealarm-products.htm

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Installed over the last beta. It kept all my previous settings.

15. BonskY

BonskY Registered Member

Hmmm...

Maybe I will give an other chance to my old good friend Zone Alarm (costumer since 2002)

My point that I'm uncertain (and reason that I was leaving the ship) is the sandboxies compatibilty issues with the advanced download proctection and it seem that Check point are overwhelmed with Firefox fast upgrade version policy...bref...I really don't like the web security module.

Thats why I liked the previous version that it was possible to not install the web protection module...my best setup was ZA antivirus ver 9.3 (web module not installed, no toolbar) + Sandboxies + Firefox (with the classic security extention, WOT, No script, adblock +, ect...)

I will see...

16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the system tray icon is it just the 'Z' or does it show the red and green bars for the firewall? just curious.

17. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Just the "Z", no in/out animation anymore...
    It does indicate scans or updates, though it's only a slightly different icon.

18. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

On mines max is 300mb :D :D
    but it doesn't slow down my computer :thumb:

19. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

anyone runing this on a netbook? I have one that has 2gb with win7, just curious what poeple think

20. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I am
    3gb
    Vista 32bit

21. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Answer is just few messages above yours:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2050691&postcount=51

To complete the above, the full installer may reach up to 200MB (with all language packs) while the online install can be limited to around 60MB (Excluding AV signatures). The issue is not new and vaild also for retail products, you can also check posts by Checkpoint staff directly at the ZA forum. Sorry

Hope this helps to clarify the issue.

Cheers,
    fax

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  23. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Real time protection doesn't work for me. Downloaded eicar and IE Pass view (nirsoft) using opera and executed them but no detection/alert or removal. Context menu scan detected them. I set ZA to max and selected full data base option during install. I deselected the toolbar and search engine option during install. My OS is Vista 64bit. I downloaded the installer from http://free.zonealarm.com/

24. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I forgot to mention that I have restarted the machine manually after installation. No alerts in from security center. It said av, ZA firewall and anti spy were turned on

25. fax

fax Registered Member

That site leads to an installer hosted at babylon.com and a version that is not the final.... weird. How did you manage to find that site? The download link is posted at the top of this thread and all links from the main ZA site lead to the correct file not that beta version! :doubt:

And for testing be sure to use the official eicar, for example this: http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.