NEW RELEASE: Process Guard v3.0

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

HOT OFF THE HARD DRIVE!
    We're pleased to announce the highly anticipated release of Process Guard version 3.0 - the most advanced kernel & process protection system available for Windows. Now made even easier to use, the user interface has been completely redesigned. However, while ProcessGuard v3.0 is now easier to use it's actually even more powerful than before. Important breakthroughs in our research, dozens of driver optimizations and an enhanced architecture all combine to make PGv3 one of the strongest security systems ever made.

This is a Public Beta and is available only to registered Process Guard users (click here to register). ProcessGuard registration is one-off, so all existing registered users are entitled to upgrade for FREE! Our beta team has tested ProcessGuard v3.0 relentlessly so we aren't anticipating any problems, but if you do encounter any issues please email processguard@diamondcs.com.au - thanks. This public beta contains everything except the helpfile which is still being worked on. Other than that, it's the complete package.

To download, log into the Members Area, from where you'll 1) be able to download ProcessGuard v3.0, and 2) be able to retrieve your serial which you'll need to 'unlock' the program so that it can be used. If you have an older version of ProcessGuard on your machine you'll need to uninstall that first and reboot before installing ProcessGuard v3.0 . After downloading and installing ProcessGuard v3.0 you'll be asked to enter your unlock serial (from the Members Area). That's all there is to it - your system is now secured against a vast array of attacks, including rootkit installation, process termination, modification, DLL injection, and much more.

We look forward to your comments, and we hope you enjoy the program! Feel free to post screenshots if you want in the screenshot thread.

The DiamondCS Team

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. Jason_DiamondCS

Some of the new features in ProcessGuard v3.000 include :-

* A completely new way of handling alerts. Now you only get alerted when the events happen, rather than when they possibly may happen.
    * Reduced complexity of adding protection to programs by minimizing the privileges to Terminate, Modify and Read.
    * New, easier to use interface.
    * New global hook blocking method.
    * New execution protection method, works across multiple user accounts.
    * New Learning mode which learns a lot more now.
    * Physical Memory Protection (protects ProcessGuard and your system from physical memory attacks).
    * Improved close message handling.
    * Many stability and reliability improvements (Driver/Service/GUI).
    * Now blocks all rootkit installation methods.
    * Full Windows XP support, including SP1 and SP2.
    * Full Windows 2003 support.
    * Full Windows 2000 support.
    * Full UNICODE support.

Attached Files:

• pg3.gif
      pg3.gif
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Jason_DiamondCS

After you have uninstalled ProcessGuard v2.0 or whatever you were using previously, make sure pguard.dat no longer exists in your c:\windows\system32 directory.

It is incompatible with the new version, and may cause problems if the new version finds it there.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

I'll be working through the night but if I get a chance I'll post a screenshot of some advanced attacks in action being blocked (rootkit installation being blocked, process terminations, etc)

6. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Jason, does this mean that pghash.dat is OK to keep?
    Jim C

7. Jason_DiamondCS

No, the installer will delete that one automatically, which is why I didn't mention it. :)

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Plus, remind folks to save a copy of their Protection List to make it easier to restore security... JC

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Yes, exporting your current list will be helpful if the new learning mode doesn't find all your security programs for you.

10. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Working great here :D....good work guys.

Regards,
    Jade.

11. Meed

Meed Registered Member

When will the free finished, none beta, version be available for dl ?

12. ???

??? Guest

Looks good. Is there any chance to purchase PG directly from DiamondCS (not involving Regsoft)?

13. Jason_DiamondCS

When will the final be released? When at least 99% of the problems people are experiencing are removed, and the suggestions have been added. :)

You can purchase ProcessGuard through paypal and a few other methods, simply email us at sales@diamondcs.com.au , we can pretty much arrange anything.

14. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Thanks DCS, I've been stress testing for some hours now,(with other apps and malware)

And this program is working great !

It is better, easier, faster to configure and even safer.
    Hard to believe that the number one security tool could be/has improved !!!

Congratulations.!!!

I stayed up all night but it was worth it!

Now i can go to sleep knowing that there is a good lock on my door (PC)

;)

15. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Not sure whether to post here or start a new thread about odd happenings.
    Whatever, here's one. Fortunately, I never (never) execute a new app without doing a Drive Image backup up - been bitten too many times in the past.

However, d/l'd and executed PG3. All seemed to be going well until I tried to open the app I keep my passwords in - PasswordSafe.

Told me I had entered the wrong "safe combination". I know this particular password so well, but it wouldn't have it. Tried several times but that came nearer to hospitalising me than anything else recently.

So I did a DI restore (wish I had a pound/dollar for everytime that has saved my bacon!) and all was well again.

I'll wait until the non-beta version is out and hope that all is well then. Possibly if I went through the whole process again it might be different, but I am a bit hesitant about doing so.

Any ideas?

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Oremina, You probably need to add your Safe app (it's main .exe) to the PG protection list and it may need some allows such as global hooks. :)

HTH Pilli

17. Oremina

Pilli - Thanks for your quick reply. I'll try it again later this evening and do as you suggest- at least I've always got a safe restore point.

I did not have Password Safe's exe file in my protection list on v2 but I'll certainly give that a try.

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

PG3 works slightly diferently in some ways especially regarding global hooks and this could be causing the problem, worth a try anyway, watch the alerts in PG's alert log for guidance.

Cheers.

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Adding pwsafe.exe to the protection list with install global hooks resolved the problem for me.

Nick

20. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Cherrs Nick, Hope it works for Orimena as well :)

21. Oremina

Hi nick s and pilli

Am trying it all again. At the moment I have all 4 Global Protection Options enabled (ticked). The problem I had with PasswordSafe appears to have vanished this time. :D Hope it stays like that but I do not (not) have the pwsafe.exe in Protection either.

Odd... guess it will all clear up in time as the newness wears off. I am not sure if having all the 4 GPO's ticked is the right way to go and would appreciate some guidance on this at sometime, but all seems pretty quiet for now.

22. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Lookin good, V3 took less than an hour to configure compared to weeks with V2. Nice job on the learning mode.

I liked the four boxes rather than the check box to remember this answer though. But thanks for fixin the cursor xp problem on the pop up window.

The most annoying thing I can find wrong so far is the program checksum list (security tab). You can't change the run options in the list now and double clicking no longer gives you the properties of the executable.

Thanks DCS

23. nick s

nick s Registered Member

CursorXP working here as well. And so is BOClean (with Block Global Hooks enabled). Worth the wait. Thanks to DCS and the beta testers.

Nick

24. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i installed pg3, but it didn't seem to work, for me.. first of all, it didn't recognize my kerio 2.15 firewall.. i added kerio ie persfw.exe to the protected processes list, but still, when i would test pg3 using "process kill", process kill would kill kerio AND pg3 (pguard.exe, or whatever it was) every time.. i tried it over and over, with various configurations, and every time, those two processes were killed.. the one process of the three listed that "process kill" would not kill was my etrust ez av.. i assume that etrust ez av it has its own protection..

25. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Redwolfe_98,

The most likely reason the you could kill those processes is because they were running when you enabled Securely handle windows closure.
    You must stop the service or process and restart for close message handling to work. This is because Process Guard needs to inject procguard.dll into the process.
    You can see whether the injection has occurred properly by using programs such as Sysinternals Process Explorer or Faber Toys.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.