New Primary HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bigdavetru, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdavetru

bigdavetru Registered Member

Acronis TI 11
    OS - Vista Home Premium
    Bios - Phoenix Award ver 6...
    Mobo supports Serial ATA : Four SATA connectors:
    Supports 1 SATA-150 or SATA-300 disk drive on each SATA connector
    Speed up to 1.5Gb/sec or 3.0Gb/sec, complying with SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 specifications

I just bought a Western Digital 1TB hd. I currently have a 300gb hd as primary (C:). I want to install the 1tb and make it primary ( C:), and have the 300gb as (D:). The old 300 gb is partitioned into a 280gb ( c:) and an 8gb D: ( system recovery files ). I guess I don't want to clone over the d: partition to the new hd ( I don't think I need two copies of the system recovery files, or do I? ). I would prefer the new 1tb hd to be partitioned into 1 big partition C:.

I've already done a complete image backup to an xtnrl hd .

I guess I'll be using the TI's clone disc program.Can anyone list some steps on exactly what to do? I'm sure I have to run the clone prgm in Manual mode in order to have more control and use relayout. Do I run TI from a boot disk or from inside Vista.
    Does the clone program automatically handle the reversing of the drive letter assignments?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Look for any message by GroverH. In his signature are links to some tutorials he has written in easy to understand language, for beginners and for advanced users.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bigdavetru,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

You have already created full drive backup, so now all you need to do is to create Acronis bootable disc -> attach new 1 Tb drive -> boot from Acronis bootable disc and restore only your system partition using resizing in order to fill all unallocated space on new drive. See use guide concerning restore with resizing question.

Here are basic step-by-step instructions:

1) Boot computer from Acronis bootable disc
    2) Choose Backup and Restore -> Restore ->Next -> Select image of the system (file with .tib extension) -> Next
    3) Now from Restoration Type Selection window select Restore disks and partitions -> Next -> Select all partitions or just C partition if your hard drive does have one partition.
    4) From restored Partition Location window select the first hard disk if there are several, it is usually marked as (C:) -> Next -> Choose Active -> Next -> Don’t change anything click Next -> Choose Yes, I want to assign logical drive letter to the restored partition (it should be letter C) -> Next -> Choose No, I don’t -> Choose Use default options -> Next and Proceed

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. bigdavetru

bigdavetru Registered Member

Since I already had a backup image on my xtrnl hd I probably should have done it your way - it sounds a little easier. I cloned my old c drive instead and everything seems to be working fine. I didn't do it right though until I read GroverH's pdf. Here's basically what I did:

Installed the new hd in the SATA port where the old hd was and moved the old hd to a new SATA port.

Used Acronis boot cd to clone drive.

removed old hd before first boot up. Vista recognized the new hd as drive c: ( which is what I wanted and had trouble with before ) and Vista said it installed a driver and that I needed another reboot. Turned off PC and reinstalled old hd in it's new SATA port. Rebooted.

My partition sizes were not what I wanted but Vista's Disk Management made it easy to fix. Done!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.