Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by John Bull, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

The main Forum index shows the last 10 new posts. These are replaced in seconds due to the rate of flow.

Are all posts shown on this short list included in the New Posts list ?

I have the impression that some of my posts have appeared in the top 10, but were not shown in the New Posts list.

My reason for asking also covers duplication - why have two lists at all if they are identical ? Just go straight to New Posts.

John B

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

They aren't really the same thing. The "last 10 posts" list at the bottom of the index page is exactly that, direct links to the last (latest) 10 posts made on the forum, based upon what your account can see for forum sections, and the category selection of forums that you have picked for that display.

The "New Posts" link is a search results page that shows a list of threads that contain posts that are "new to you" (i.e. that include unread posts for your account or session). If there are 5 new posts in a single thread, this search result display just shows that the thread has new posts but not how many. If there are 5 posts in a row to a single thread, you can see that in the last 10 posts display.

Some people who are constantly active on the forum use the last 10 posts display to see new posts, real-time as they are made. The direct link takes you right to the posts themselves. Other people like to update "New Posts" (or for guests "Today's Posts") to see what threads have had activity since the last time they refreshed. While each have a concept of new or unread, they are not the same and have different uses based on what a person prefers to see.

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

LowWaterMark

As always, an impeccable answer from an impeccable person. Can I have your autograph ?

May I just ask why there is no MORE button for the top 10 so we can see a longer list ? These 10 disappear faster than an RPG leaves it`s pod..
    John B

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Our posting rate is fast, but, not that fast. The last 10 posts aren't ever really gone in seconds. In fact, during slow periods, the list of last 10 posts can span a half hour or more. During fast posting times, they can span just a couple minutes though.

As for making the list longer, that's just not the way its coded. That display section is not standard vBulletin. We coded that ourselves to be like what we had on the YaBB-SE forum, which was the forum software we used before buying vBulletin. People were used to the last 10 posts in YaBB, so, we made that modification prior to going live and converting our database to vBulletin. Anyway, retreiving the last 10 posts is not cheap in resources, so it's a cachable list that members can share. If we allow member selectable longer lists, it would take more resources. Not really worth the processing power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.