New PG user

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by n8chavez, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I recently bought Process Guard 1.3. I know version 2.0 will be out any day know and I wanted to buy it at the lowest price.

Where could I go for help on how to configure PG. I do not know what applications to put on the list or what permissions to give to those applications. At the very least I would like to be able to pass every leak test here:
    http://firewallleaktester.webhop.net
    I am a newbie to PG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Basically, add all your resident security softwares, like AntiVirus and Firewalls.
    Then you might consider to add most of your Internet enabled applications such as your browser and your mails client.
    Windows critical services are already added by default at first start normally.

A least approach is to give to your apps no privileges until needed (will have logs if any). Regarding BLOCK, blocking at least TERMINATE, SET INFO,
    WRITE, and SUSPEND.

It's a general way, now, you can change this for particular apps.
    If you don't know at all PG may be at first time give all privileges to your _trusted_ security apps.

The upcoming Process Guard 2.0 will make you able to block all leaktests, wait a little, it shouldn't be so long now :)
    (but if you talk when leaktest are launched and running, PG blocks the half of all existing leaktests, not that bad since it is not his purpose)

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi n8chavez & welcome! :)

Firstly read through the PG help file anf the threads on this forum "tips & tricks" etc.

Basically you should add any security programs and processes that may connect or have access to the internet.

Your firewal, except Zone Alarm as it already has good closure protection, AV's, AT's email programmes and browsers:

Note that Internet Explorer & Outllook Express are already on PG's default list.

Regarding leaktests: GKwebb, a DCS beta tester, is also an expert on firewall leaktests and will probably respond to your request for information but as far as I know PG does not stop all leaktests because some leaktests use methods not covered by PG. Remember that leaktests are just proof of concept and not necessarily a real threat :)

HTH Pilli

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I was faster than you Pilli :p

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Blast It! :D

Hi GK we must have been writing at the same time :)

So n8chavez You have your answers :D

My point about leaktests was RE: V 1.300 & not regarding Version 2 BTW ;)

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Thanks very much for the help. I'm having fun tweaking varios progrsm perissions :D I am exited about 2.0. Any idea what the new features will be. It's hard to imagine PG could be improved upon.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.