New Partition Not Showing

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Sandmanfil, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandmanfil

Sandmanfil Registered Member

Using Windows 7 RTM and Partition Manager 10.

When I first started PM10 I created a Boot CD.

Then I went to create a new partition by trying to resize my original C: drive using the PM10, it said it needed full access to the drive so it needed to restart. I let it restart, but forgot I had the boot CD in. Since it was my first time using this software, I used the boot CD to resize my single drive without knowing I was using the Boot CD.

I resized my main drive so that I had a second partition, using the Boot CD. After applying all the changes, it rebooted my system to take effect. I believe the original PM10 configuration tried to take effect as well at this point (from where I tried running PM10 originally in my Windows7 and tried to create a partition there.)

Now My C: drive is resized, but my new D: drive doesn't show up in windows. I ran the boot CD again and the new partition doesn't show up there either. The boot CD shows my full C: drive capacity. Windows explorer only shows the resized C: drive size.

Can this be fixed without losing my data on my new partition I tried to create? I used the Boot CD during partition resizing/creation to also transfer files over to the new partition in order to resize the C: drive again to reduce it's size and increase my D: drive's size during the initial partition resizing/creation.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Try using the boot cd to shrink the C partition a bit - a couple of gb should be enough.

Click OK , then Apply.

Close paragon and remove the cd.

Then restart into Windows to allow Disk Management to refresh.

Hope it helps.

3. Sandmanfil

Well I used the regular PM10 software to resize the C: drive by about 400 MB and it didn't work. Does it make a difference if I do it using the Boot CD, or how large the resize is (you did suggest a couple of gigs)?

I really want to recover the files that I transfered to that created partition that isn't showing up. I'm searching for a good undelete program right now to see if I can recover them that way.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Don't worry, it is still all there.

Use the boot disc because that sees the whole drive - shrink it abit - doesn't matter how little. The idea is to get the PM boot disc to update the system information.

You have to do some sort of operation first to get it to do that.

Do not use the windows GUI - it is not reading the partitions properly - you might screw it up.

5. Sandmanfil

Well, thanks for the help. It was to no avail. So I've just resized my partition and created my second partition using the gui exclusively and it works fine.

Unfortunately I've lost my files I've transfered the first go around. And using and undelete program failed to bring it back. I think since I tried to run the first resize in the gui, then accidentally carried on the process using the boot CD that the whole thing got F*ed up.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I would make an image of the hd now -save it somewhere safe.

Then delete all the partitions.

Run the partition Undelete - quicker if you select advanced and only search for FAT and NTFS.

- see if it offers the original partition before you stared. If so, recover that - and all your files should be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.