New Official Avast Program Update 6.0.1091

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

I'm waiting for version 6 to become finished before updating. I had switched to Avira from Avast 5 and it is SLOW compared to Avast. On every bootup it slows things for 2-3 minutes while its updating or setting up. Simple file scans take much longer (10-15x longer) than Avast. I still wasn't comfortable with Avast version 6, so I found the last version 5 available for download and my PC is happy again!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/9090/

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

What problem do you have with v6, exactly?
    There are no big issues I'm aware of...

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

anyway - v6 performs slower than v5.
    but its possible to pimp it with user specified settings without loosing too much security.
    (same for ESET Gamer Edition - less on-access security - higher on-demand security)

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

avast! 6 is the lightest, fastest AV that I have used. I have used MSE 1 & 2, Comodo CIS and CAV and Panda Cloud 1.4. avast! is invisible on my machine, but I did a custom install: File, Web, Network Shields only, with auto sandbox enabled. No gadget, webrep, p2p, mail, im or behavioral shields.

5. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

vlk, I've just read some stories at Avast forums and CNet reviews of BSOD's and computers slowing down. I'd rather wait until the final version 6 is out to be sure I don't have these problems. I haven't tried V6 yet, just trying to be careful. I appreciate Avast being here and answering questions.

6. DBone

DBone Registered Member

The final avast! 6 is out. It has been for a couple of weeks. You are hearing from a few users with real, and ulterior motives out of 120 million users. I have avast! 6 on 5 machines, from XP, Vista, & W7 x32 and W7 x64 and all work flawlessly.

7. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

Even on this thread, some are saying they need to make modifications (shut down this or that shield) to make v6 run right, doesn't seem final to me.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

User choice to install desired components, because avast! gives users that option....... It is final, use it or not.

9. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

U wont know until u try...as dbone mentioned there must be very few users wo are having problems out of 120 million users

10. gery

gery Registered Member

Web rep is the one thing i know of giving out problems . I can fell the computer it is slower ( it does not fell or act fast ) than when using ZA Antivirus for example but it is not that bad overall. I can hardly notice Avast being heavy or slow and it really doesn't give me any sort of problem. It depends on what you wait on the product. I have all shields on except spam which i don't need .
    firewall, AV shields everything on.

11. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

The BSOD's are created when you install avast having sandboxie installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.