New network detected possible net leecher?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Rubix, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

Hi,

I have my Internet setup like this router wifi connected to my Desktop PC thru an wire that connects to the Ethernet card and to my Smartphone and to my Laptop thru wifi connection, and correct me if i am wrong but the first time that ESS detected my Desktop, Smartphone and my Laptop offered me a new network detected dialog asking me to choose between allow sharing or strict protection, and this was done a long time now the problem is that today when i turned on my computer Eset ESS detected a new network and ask me again to choose between allow sharing or strict protection but i wonder what this new network is ?

In the attachment is a pic of my Subnet selection

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• ESS.jpg
      ESS.jpg
      File size:
      79 KB
      Views:
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that 169.x.x.x could be your smart phone. Add it as trusted, if so

3. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

Thanks for the answear

When i am connected with my HTC Google N1 to the computer i see that the IP of the connection is 192.168.1.67 so that 169.x.x.x i still unknown, maybe is my laptop. but i should have only 3 networks detected under my subnet selection, the cellphone, the desktop and the laptop why this new network?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

actually that ip range is assigned, by default by windows, when for whatever reason you can get an address from dhcp. so if the connection is dropped etc
    "..
    If the IP address starts with 169.x.x.x: Windows has assigned you an automatic IP address (Automatic Private IP address) because your Internet server provider (ISP) did not provide an IP address.
    .."

5. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

I understand but i marked that IP red because it was the only one different, just because that because i don´t know what new network was detected by ESS the other day.

Do you think that I have some reasons to worry?

6. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Just suggestion.Try to use Bot Hunter(a network diagnostic tool).I suggest you may exclude it from ESS once you installed it so that it won't interrupt Bot Hunter to monitor your network.Here is the link:http://www.bothunter.net/

7. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

So if i understood correctly that new network was due something related to my ISP did not provide me a IP at that time ?

8. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

9. Rubix

Rubix Registered Member

You mean "when for whatever reason you can not get an address from dhcp. for example if the connection is dropped etc" ?

10. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

So sorry to hear that.Not only you but I think no one can really access this website temporarily.I don't know what happen to their website.i will inform you once the website is accessible.:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.