New.net?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mikey_fromhell, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I looked around first,but I couldn't find an answer.Will SpywareBlaster continue to protect against the New.net foistware? Due apparently to the suit filed against Patrick Kolla,Spybot Search and Destroy by default no longer detects it (It can be enabeled;it's listed in "misc."now).Just wondering. Official stupid newbie post;feel free to ignore when appropriate

2. VXN

VXN Registered Member

I didn't know that New.net sued SpyBot S&D as well. When did they file a suit against SpyBot?

What about Adaware case? Is it over?
    What other companies did they sue?

Thanks

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Lots of stuff about it here. I hadn't realized this either.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Very interesting read, Detox. Scary as hell, too, because while I didn't follow their links for actual details of the legal proceedings, it sure sounds like "our" side has suffered a major blow from the so-called "justice" system. Money rules, I guess. :p

5. I did a little more research;a brief was filed against Patrick Kolla,not a suit (yet?).The suit was filed against Nicolas Stark computing (AdAware).My mistake.I didn't post out of purely intellectual interest;I was infected by new.net myself.I downloaded the p2p app "eDonkey",from the main Edonkey site;no warnings,no opt-outs & no mention of new.net in the eula.I DID get a half-second pop-up of a DOS window that said "ncase" (didn't have time to read the rest).Hmmm.I scanned for spyware with sbs&d and found nothing.AdAware DID find new.net and ncase,and removed both.Note:New.net says to remove their app from the add-remove programs menu,but there were no new entries other than eDonkey(Yes,I removed it!).I worry that other spyware vendors might decide to sue to protect their "right" to spy.Remember what it was like BEFORE Adaware,Spybot s&d,& SpywareGuard?We might be headed back that way soon.What do you do when it's illegal to detect coolwwwsearch?Or Back orifice? Mikey not know what beige metal box do.Him just push buttons.Ook Ook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.