New Motherboard Troubles - is there an Acronis solution?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by knowbodynow, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowbodynow

knowbodynow Registered Member

Hello,

My wife's computer had a major failure and it was necessary to change the motherboard, processor and memory. Consequently her Japanese XP home won't boot. Currently I have True Image 9. If I upgraded that to the Workstation 9.1 and also got Universal Restore would it be possible to make an image of her system disc and then restore it so that it will work with her new hardware? I am also planning to upgrade my own system and get a new motherboard, processor and memory. What is the best way to ensure that I can continue using my existing version of XP Pro Sp2.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Should work with UR. Remember though, that you have to have the drivers for that new motherboard and for the video card, if not part of the m/b, available when using the UR process.

How do you plan to make a Backup of her system disk if her system is kaput? Do you have another working computer to connect that disk to?

Another consideration, if there are not too many programs to re-install, in this situation, many people prefer to start from scratch. That way you don't carry over a lot of the junk that accummulates in the registry over time. And you will not have to put out the money for Workstation 9.1 and UR.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have the Windows installation CD, Google the term "upgrade in place" and read the Microsoft KB article on how to do this. The upgrade in place is a repair that will find the new hardware and install the drivers for it.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have the bootable Windows installation CD, read the Microsoft KB article on how to do an "upgrade in place":
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

The upgrade in place is a repair that will find the new hardware and install the drivers for it. After that, the system should boot and run normally. You will have to reinstall all the Windows updates and any special programs provided with the new motherboard.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello knowbodynow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, the purpose of Acronis Universal Restore is to restore the image archive to a different hardware by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Thus, using Acronis True Image in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore should help you to transfer the system to a new motherboard. Please have a look at this thread <changing motherboards> for more details.

Please also be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used. Therefore, if you wish to upgrade another system you will need additional license of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image and Acronis Universal Restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. knowbodynow

Thanks for the replies. I just discovered I forgot to subscribe to this thread. If Universal restore needs access to particular drivers what is the best way of doing that:

a) when the original motherboard has failed.
    b) under controlled circumstances.

Thanks again,

Chris (Hunt)

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You don't need the drivers for the failed m/b, you need the drivers for the "new" m/b. There are several programs that can do that for you, one is Driver Genius.

If, as in your case, you had to buy a new m/b, it should come with a driver cd.

8. knowbodynow

Thanks for the reply. Will Universal Restore prompt for a driver installation CD? I'm trying to understand the process that Universal Restore Goes through, or perhaps I should write the exact process involved to restore the image taken with an old motherboard installed to a new one.

Chris

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello knowbodynow,

Please notice as explained in chapter "Acronis Universal Restore general principles" of the respective User's Guide,
    You can find the detailed instructions on the recovery procedure in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. knowbodynow

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the 9.1 worstation guide. I found the following section. I've bolded the parts that are of concern:

I set up my own partitions and installed Windows XP myself. The entire disc is 154.3 GB divided into five partitions. The system Partition c:\ is first and occupies 20 GB. My swapfile is on a second drive which is 232.9 B and occupies the first partition d:\ and is a size of 4GB. Will Universal Restore work? It is not practical to make an image of both drives as the user guide suggests. My system backups are of the C:\ partition on disk 1 and the d:\ partition on disk 2.

What is my best course of action? I'm concerned as to whether Universal Restore can help. I also wonder what would happen if it were necessary to replace say, a motherboard and a hard drive. Is making a totally secure backup actually impossible?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

11. knowbodynow

Hello,

If there is anyone from Acronis out there I'd appreciate a follow up to my previous post.

Thanks.

Chris (Hunt)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.