New motherboard question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Cloudcroft, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

The card reader in my Dell Inspiron notebook is screwed up, so Dell has agreed to replace the motherboard under warranty. The card reader itself is mounted on the motherboard. Will a new motherboard affect licensed software installed on my notebook? For instance, I have Norton Internet Security 2009 installed, and I'm wondering if changing the motherboard will cause NIS to think it's now installed on a different computer?

2. guest

guest Guest

don't think so... The only problem it could cause it with windows activation or with drivers but they will probably use the same motherboard so it is not an issue.

Alex

3. Cloudcroft

Thanks Alex.....it's supposed to be the same motherboard, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have any problems after it's replaced. I've made a copy of all my bios settings, but started wondering where Norton Internet Security looks to I.D. the computer it's on. Same with my other licensed software.

4. guest

guest Guest

If it is the same motherboard, you shouldn't have any problems. The worst thing would be to reactivate those applications but, I think you will be ok!

I know that some some software do look at the hardware (like windows) but, if it is the same one, I don't think that it will make a difference.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I replace Dell mobos at work all the time with SAV10 installed with no problems. Just make sure you also set the time or weird things will happen, lol. Also check the BIOS version to make sure you have the latest. Dell's BIOS updates have gotten pretty painless, a far cry from the "insert floppy" days.

Dells operating systems come pre-activated so you never have to activate it, even after a fresh reinstall. There is a file on the CD/DVD used during installation that somehow does this. What I do not fully understand is what it looks at to make sure it is going on the right computer. We once had a GX520 SFF that was dropped and the case was busted. We got a used GX520 off of Ebay that had the same hardware minus the floppy drive. I didn't think it would work but I swapped the HDD and floppy and the computer worked with no problems. It informed me that it was already activated as normal so I am kind of o_O on that one.

6. Cloudcroft

Thanks, Midway...I've already got a copy of the latest bios version for the notebook in case I need it, but I forgot about checking the time. I've looked at the Dell manual for replacing the motherboard, and it looks like the whole notebook has to be taken apart. With my luck, something else will get screwed up in the process of trying to get a working card reader.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You should not have to worry about recording the BIOS settings, the only issue will be when you first boot up, the new board needs to recognized your attached drives. As for the time, you don't have to check it before - only after installing the new board. So, when you first install the new board, your very first boot needs to go directly into the BIOS menu where you will check/set the current data and time, verify your drives are present, then "Save and Exit" to reboot normally. IF the new board is the exact same model, AND revision number, you should have no problems

8. Cloudcroft

Thanks, Bill.

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

@ Cloudcroft.
    If this is an under repair warranty then a company (Tech?) Representative should be doing it. (Used to do it myself) It would be his responsibility to ensure ALL proper functions when the install was done.
    Even with you doing it yourself you should have no problems if the boards are identical. Plug & play. If you have changed the BIOS settings from default on the old board then of course you will need to make the changes on the new after the install first boot is complete.

10. Cloudcroft

The technician just left and everything appears to be working fine. I did go into the bios and make a couple of changes, such as the boot sequence. The technician didn't make sure everything was working though. Once it booted okay, she said her job was finished. I do have a working card reader now.

11. guest

guest Guest

Well that's good news:)

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You just can not get good help now-a-days. :rolleyes:

In theory, the Tech was correct. In practice she gets a grade of a D-.

I always made sure any peripherals that were hooked up and working prior to the part going bad was working prior to my leaving.

My Boss loved me and his Boss said I was the only Tech. that ever got requested by name for service calls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.