New monitor and optimal resolution

Discussion in 'hardware' started by PeterVO, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

I'd like to know if my ATI 9200 SE graphics card will support a 16/9 external monitor with a resolution of say 1600X900 without image distortion?

Kind regards,

PeterVO

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

PeterVO, according to this CNET Archive Report, if your card is similar to that one, the maximum resolution is 2048 x 1536. But, if the 16:9 aspect ratio you mention is for an HD monitor, is there a reason why you need to lower its resolution?

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

1600 x 900 is HD. Not the "full" 1080, but the difference is not important.

The best way to avoid distortion is to use the monitor in its native resolution. Other resolutions should be used only to "solve" compatibility problems.

If the native resolution of the monitor is 1600x900, any recent card will detect it and choose it as the default resolution.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Not to mention that to get the advertised response times and fluid motion, you need to run them at the native resolution. Running an LCD flatpanel at less that native resolution 'might' give you some jitters/fuzzies/ghostings. I have seen this in older games that don't allow full resolution of my 27" lcd.

Sul.

5. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

thank you all for your advice.
    I've had a Dell ultrasharp 20 inch in 4/3 dimensions with an optimal resolution of 1600X1200. Sadly it's "kaput" now after six years of heavy daily use. Nowadays it's all 16/10 and 16/9 and no longer 4/3, hence my question.
    So will a new monitor in 16/9 or 16/10 with a maximum resolution of "2048 x 1536" have a distortion free image with my ATI Radeon 9200 SE?

Kind regards,

PeterVO

6. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

The Radeon 9200 SE is a really old card. It could support those resolutions, but when I had that card, it had hard time to render even on 1024 x 768. Maybe if you use the combination for _very_ basic tasks like word processing, then it may work. But if you're looking to play videos or similar content, it's time to upgrade the graphics card (and maybe the whole system, as I haven't seen AGP supporting motherboards in a long time).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.