New Member seeks Help & Advice

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by juppy, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juppy

juppy Registered Member

Hi I am mick and this is my first posting. I have made a posting into this forum.

I am new to computer security and would like a little advice if at all possible.
    The following refers to home computing
    Currently I have a desktop with XP professional. My internet connection is cable broadband.
    Next year I am buying another desk top and setting up a wireless connection to two other desk tops and a lap top.

At present my anti-trojan security is

Trojan Hunter (Free Programme)- whilst this appears to identify trojans it does not tell you what to do with them. There is no hint within the headings of the drop down boxes nor in the help file.

I am now thinking of replacing it with BOClean.

My enquiry is
    1) Any comments on my choice
    2) Will BOClean cause any problems for a computer, running NOD32 or Kaspersky anti-virus or, within a wireless system
    3) Is there something I am overlooking with Trojan Hunter with regard to what to do, with trojans once found, or does it deal with them automatically requiring no input from myself.
    4) Is BOClean any different in its operation and set up configuration to that of Trojan Hunter

Thank you for any help
    Regards
    Mick :)

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hi
    i assume that you're running a trojan hunter trial?
    once it discovers a trojan it will start a disinfection wizard( 3 clicks and yer done), depending a little if it's found running in memory or with the filescanner.. the guard can be set up to automatically remove trojans..
    are we really talking about the same program? trojan hunter from http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter

besides boclean you might wanna check out tds-3 too.. www.diamondcs.com.au

but if you require something with the least user input then boclean is the one for you! it really is set it and forget it

3. juppy

juppy Registered Member

Hi Illukka,
    Yes it is the same trojan hunter and without going back into their web site as I it was free it is most proberbally the trial version.

I will look at tds-3
    Thanks for your comments

4. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Welcome....there's a lot of good folks here that can help you through just about anything.....
    Use a good hardware firewall, and one with encryption since you're going wireless. Linksys makes a good one, we've been thinking about doing the same here next year.

There are no conflicts that haven'tbeen successfully handled with Nod and BOClean's excluders, and I've yet to see any conflicts with Kapersky. BOClean, being a unique real-time detection system doesn't need to hook into ring0, so it can't possibly conflict with the firewall router, wired or wireless.

It's a whole lot easier, uses minimal resources (the least of all the ATs IIRC) and updates automatically. You can even set it up so any cleanup is handled automatically, without any human intervention. Set it up that way and you'll never know it's there (save for the little flickering icon in the traybar, which you can also opt to not display)

Do check out TDS, you may like it if you're into tinkering around with your system. A number of folks like using both.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ah Nancy, Us girls & boys with their toys :D

All good advice as well! :)

Especially a router / wireless router if you have more than one PC connected to your BB.

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.