New Member has questions?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Chas, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chas

Chas Registered Member

Great information forum!

My computer was recently hacked into and my credit card number was stolen from my Paypal account. The individual made himself the primary account holder in my Paypal account and changed my password and security questions. Fortunately I look at my accounts regularly and caught it in time. Although the person did try to charge a substantial amount, it was rejected. Whew!!! Close one!

Anyhow, I have eradicated my computer using TDS-3, Ad-aware, Spybot and Spywareguard. Found quite a few Trojans. The initial run using TDS-3 found 26.

I'll stop blabbing and get to my question.

What did the individual use to gain this access to my Paypal account?

What is the best software to protect myself against this from ever becoming a possibility again?

Plus, I think I might still have a couple processes running that shouldn't be.

Oh! I am running Win98SE that is networked to my wife's PC that has the dial up connection. Oddly enough nothing was found on my wife's computer. Who'd a thunk!

Thanks in advance,

Chas

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi chas,

welcome to wilders :)

nowadays u dun have threats only from viruses and trojans but there are spywares or malwares. these are not any less threat of ur privacy if not more than other two big brothers.
    more info on spyware can be found here

just have a visit here and i hope you will get a better idea on security

if you do think that, and even if u dun think... and i feel its ur computer so its ur duty to keep it clean as a newborn's mind then do visit here. that will give experts here an idea whether u have any malware left and giv their ideas

someone rightly said... Anything can happen anytime and any moment... and by the way .. are u unhappy that ur wife's machine was untouched ?? :D :D

cheers and hve a gr8 day/nite

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The answer to that would probably be found here:

I would imagine that other than one of those trojans having gotten the information, you may have been "phished" by a false email from "PayPal" and simply given the information away by mistake (no reflection on you, it's just about the only other avenue for the information to get "stolen").

Since you're running TDS now (and keeping it religiously updated daily - AND making sure that exe protection is installed and running at all times AND running a full, in-depth, all-functions-enabled scan with it at least ONCE weekly, you shouldn't have to worry about actual "Trojans" anymore - BUT -

So you need to follow the instructions in Step 2 and Step 3 of this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913l
    (You need to create a folder for HJT (C:\Program Files\HijackThis) and install it into that for it to work properly, BTW - don't know why they won't add that information to that thread. It's important if you need to "fix" something afterwards) - to make sure you've gotten rid of anything else that may be contributing to your problems. HTH Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.