New McAfee Upgrade suggested

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Your post brings back to mind a good experience I had. Late one night I had to call Comcast Support...this was a long, long time ago I had ME OS I explained my problem...very slow PC. Apparently there was a bunch of crap on my machine from the factory loading up. This young lady chatted with me the whole time she helped clean up my system. I can not remember all the stuff we cleaned and unchecked no to load at start up, but I was really surprised. I was a newbie then.

She was Holly...from Canada she went well beyond the call of duty to help me. In the end I felt like the problem got fixed to quick and now we had to part company. :( Way off topic but with the negative experiences that are often posted. I thought I would share this positive one too. :thumb:

Back on topic now...I am going to stick with what I got too it is working fine. It is also the same version list by CodeBlue. :)

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi mercury........

Since you are using the free McAfee from Comcast, I have to ask you a question.

I have RegCleaner 4.3 installed, and when I opened it the other day, I saw something I've never noticed before. Under the software tab, the Author and Software are listed. There is a entry with the author American Online, and the software Mfw. The registry key is.........

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\America Online\Mfw.

I was wondering if you have this entry in your registry. Looks like it has something to do with McAfee's firewall. I know AOL offers it's customers a free version of McAfee. Could it be something do do with it being a free version from Comcast? I'm not crazy about having anything AOL on my computer.

3. Graystoke

I contacted the Comcast support. He told me to contact the Comcast McAfee support. He told me that I have or had AOL software on my computer. I tried to tell him I never had AOL software on this computer. He insisted that I call AOL tech support. I'm not going do that. I don't want to deal with them. I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling McAfee. I just don't like the idea of there being an AOL entry in my registry.

4. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

I dunno if that's worth uninstalling (even if it is McAfee putting the key in there). :cool:

5. mercurie

I agree.

It is doing it's weekly scan at the moment, when it finishes I will check my registry and get back to you. I don't honestly know if I ever had any AOL on this machine. I know I did on my other machine PC2.

Sit tight I'll get back with you. ;)

6. Graystoke

Thanks mercurie.

7. mercurie

No such Registry key is found on my machine. I find no trace of anything AOL in the registry. I did do some cleaning using CCleaner after checking. ;)

8. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Registered Member

I still have the AOL Kaspersky AV on our oldest computer along with Comodo FW and Spyware Terminator. Kaspersky still updates the definitions and it works very well. No AOL issues, never an e-mail from them. If you are OK with McAfee, I would imagine it may work the same way as with the Kaspersky arrangement.

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I think it has less to do with whether McAfee is willing to provide AOL with the upgrade, and more with whether AOL is willing to subsidize the upgrade. As it is, I'm personally expecting the whole AVS fiasco to repeat itself, because AOL is resting easy with the knowledge that the mass majority of the people who sign up for the deal just won't know better.

But all things considered, it's still a heavyweight vendor's product for $0.

10. Graystoke

I checked at the McAfee forum also. There is one guy there that does have the same registry entry I have. He also never installed any AOL software.

EDIT........Just to see what would happen, I removed that registry entry. So far it hasn't seemed to affect anything. I'll keep it like this and see what happens.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  11. mercurie

In preperation for possible future upgrade (to ver. eight), according to system requirements at McAfee site, I loaded NET Frame 2.0 from MS update site. According to McAfee you need at least ver. 1.1.432 or higher.

I am still going to hold off on doing the update until it gets out there a little more...

...or until I get more courage...:D

As was suggested I will likely Ghost an image first. ;)

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Looks like the new 2008 Version is out at the website. It boasts enhanced and streamlined performance using less of your computer resources...:thumb: :D

13. mercurie

Thanks for the update Mongol. Did you install it or just notice the 2008 version is at the website? I ask because I was wondering if you noticed a drop in PC resource use. :)

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the McAfee upgrade mentioned in this thread might be the latest from AOL but it is several versions in the rear. here is the latest from McAfee that is installed on my comp. Mcafee virus Scan plus. I saw it mentioned that the latest scan engine is 5200, they are right except it is for the corporate virusscan not the home edition at this time. the latest home scan engine is 5100.0194

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  15. mercurie

Hi BigC,
    I am using free offer from my ISP it is Suite Version 7.2 AV 11.2 running DAT 5155. My ISP offered me an ugrade back when I started this thread. I am holding off...I guess I will only upgrade if there is a benefit for my situation, like lighter resource useage. This version is at least working satisfactory and is free. Well sort of, as the ISP line is not free so it is built in to the price I guess. So why not take advantage.

Anything that might save a few cycles and a MB of RAM or 5 is good. :D until I can swing a new machine. You know what I mean? :oops:

16. bigc73542

I surely do understand. Anytime you can save a buck and still get by you are doing good. Just for general info, this version of McAfee does run very light. I do not notice any slow down at all on Vista except on start up and that is really no big deal as I am not in that big of a hurry anyway :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  17. mercurie

Thanks, BigC.

At start ups I just go pour another cup of coffee. ;)

18. bigc73542

That is exactly what I do. It still cold boots in under two mins to a usable state.

19. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I just happened to notice it at the website. Comcast offers the Security Suite to subscribers for free as most of you know. I'm curious to give it a try but my Licenses to Dr WEB and Panda are still good and I'm happy with both right now...:D

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

We have Windstream DSL, and they recently contacted us "suggesting" that we should install their newest offering, the McAfee Internet Security Suite - for only $3.99 a month more on our phone bill. I passed. I think I can find it at WalMart cheaper than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.