New Matousec Firewall Challenge

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by guest, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2008
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dunno if u know this but Mamutu is a behavior blocker, not leaktest blocker. and tbh i have no idea why they would put Mamutu in a test like this, its pointless. Behaviour blockers are not built to stop leaks, just ACTUAL malicious behaviour.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I taught Mamutu was a Behavior Blocker.o_O

4. firzen771

it is a behaviour blocker, thats why its pointless to include in a test like this, but im sure somebody will see this and think Mamutu is a terrible product simply because of this leaktest.

5. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

Happy for OA, but this time no HIPS/firewall has a really excellent score.

I'd have expected to see more softwares over 90%

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Exactly. It is the most "Not recommended" firewall. o_O A company is getting negative pubblicity on one of their products for "failing" in a test, where the product shouldn't be competing in the first place. :blink:

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Hmm, i think comodo forgot about leaktests or something. They got lower than pctools. Atleat my KIS is doing great :).

8. firzen771

OMG, somebody is finally worrying about actual effectiveness over gettin 99% on a leakesto_Oo_O

9. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

And so why would they release leak tests as well?

I think a program shouldn't be developed "around" a leak-tests, but if a soft can pass a leak test, it also means that this soft can protect against malwares that work like the test.

But yes, having a 100% on matousec also means a lot of advertising

10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

While good performance on the leaktests doesn't prove s/w is the same good against real malware, bad performance in leaktests definitely says that s/w can be easily bypassed and it's protection and monitoring is weak. Leaktests are nothing, but bypassing techniques. Another question is why Comodo releases its own leaktests if it doesn't care ? Oh, I've got it .. they only care about their own leaktests, because they know how to protect against them ! :)

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Perhaps this one should be merged with the other thread. And yeah, examples like this actually prove Matousec really completely lost sanity... These tests don't make sense; their are testing less and less of firewall functionality and now even include products that are neither firewall nor HIPS. Ugh. o_O :thumbd: :gack:

12. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I agree with this, Mamutu is like a shallow shield that does not exist. Comodo lost ground, their peak time seems to be over since they have started this security suite. Very good to see the efforts of PCTools Firewall I was always sure that this would become a firewall with lots potential especially if you make the correct settings.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yes I do believe it has, I am now using OA Free. The web site www.matousec.com list the latest free Firewall as Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131 FreeFREE, but the GUI of the Firewall itself says 3.0.0.190.Free. it seems that matousec got the version wrong.

14. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi Alex.

I noticed CIS got 84%. Were all products tested by default or set on highest possible settings? If highest possible, If you set CIS to Proactive Security, it will achieve higher results. This can be done by right clicking system tray icon Configuration>Proactive Security. This activates ALL Defense+ Settings, Because by default only some D+ Settings are active due to AV architecture, and some other technology to help improve usability. Anyway Proactive Security should really bring it back up again.

But if it's default... don't matter. :) Cangrats on the higher products! :)

15. guest

guest Guest

Interpretation of results:
    However, Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131 Free was not tested against the latest version of the tests, hence it is likely that its comparable result would be worse.

16. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

My question is: why didn't he test v3, then? o_O

17. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Outpost failed at very dangerous spots, driver installations (read - rootkit installations), I am actually very glad to see that results, as I know Agnitum will add extra (hmm... essential) protection after this tests... Matousec should check ADS in next challenge update ;)
    Also I cant believe Comodo failed at crash, kill ... tests, there must be something wrong in configuration or there is bug maybe in latest build...

Edit: closer look shows some bugs when Outpost tried to block unwanted detected behavior

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  18. subset

subset Registered Member

From the website:
    "The products are configured to their highest usable security settings and tested with this configuration only."
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/#methodology-rules
    Apart from whatever "highest usable security settings" could possibly mean... I would be surprised if Mr. Matousec does not share his chosen settings at least with the vendors of a tested program. o_O

Cheers

19. 3xist

3xist Guest

Okay.

Well here is what we have so far from the forums:

So there is a small bug causing CIS's results, and an update will come hopefully early next week.

20. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

21. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I always said this is not a problem to build paranoid product that can catch everything, can stop everything (including good harmless programs), but to be completely unusable. The main problem is not to catch everything, but to catch everything and be usable at the same time. Comodo is very good with the higest settings, but with those settings it is completely unusable. And if it is set to low popups mode, it goes insecure. This is very huge desing flaw. Most people do not understand what is the difference between different Comodo modes and are not protected thinking they are.

22. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi Alex.

As mentioned before there is a small bug causing these results. Should be fixed next week.

23. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Mamutu ?, Next round Threatfire & Spybot Search & Destroy.

24. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

I'm surprised about PC Tools Firewall. Isn't there a version 5 in the making? Does Matousec test beta products?

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

Oh, by the way the small bug in CIS has just been fixed! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.