New Laptop... What would you get?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LaFemmeMichele, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Gurus of Wilders,

I want input! I'm very interested in your choices.

:) If you were to purchase a new notebook, what would it be? :)

Please include your OS of choice as well as your tech level & any rationale you care to share!

Merci!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id probably get a laptop from VoodooPC, Velocity Micro, or Falcon Northwest. Although a gaming laptop may not be as portable, i would enjoy the power i get.

for OS, id get Windows (XP/Vista) for teh same reason: gaming.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I would definitely go around until I found the vendor willing to sell me a laptop without a preinstalled OS. Then I would most likely install and dual boot XP and Ubuntu or just Ubuntu.

Specs? I'd prolly take a dual core, 1 or 2GB RAM, a hard disk as large as possible, DVD burner, and a solid graphic card.

I hate preinstalled computers and especially hate the recovery partitions. Many vendors will try to convince you that's the latest hit and that you need all the crap they bundle.

For less savvy, they could simply go with a blank PC, install XP alone, including all the drivers.

Mrk

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I like IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. They are expensive, but generally they are worth each dollar.
    Look for reviews on Digit-Life, X-bit Labs, Laptop Logic, Trusted Reviews, etc.

5. LaFemmeMichele

I don't want to change the direction of the thread to accomodate the less savvy. I want your preferences, although I am asking because I need a new box! Your'e familiar with my level! You guys are what's making my learning curve soar.

If you care to add a suggestion for a novice plus ;) user without watering down your choice for yourselves, I'm all eyes & ears!

6. LaFemmeMichele

Lucas,
    Wonderful! I can critique PC World's, CNET's, etc "security picks" because I've learned so much from Wilders, now I have alternative best PC sources!!! Great! So glad I posted here!

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You have not mentioned price range. I have looked into several brands. I am leaning towards one of these for my next laptop. http://global.acer.com/ Would also bump up the RAM to a minimum of 1 gig.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I've always used Toshiba. My first was a Satellite in Win95 days - never have had a single problem. I've upgraded twice, now to XP.

EDIT: by upgrade, I mean I purchased a new one. Watch for sales.

There is a wide range of specifications to fit your needs. I use it

1) as the other computer on my LAN, mainly for real-time backup

2) to carry my work to another part of the house

3) travelling

-rich

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I might suggest an IBM as well. I personally own a Fujitsu S-series but, after seeing the abuse that the IBM's went through from students at my university they appear to be built like tanks.

10. ThunderZ

Must admit, they will take a beating. Currently have an old T21 see signature. Have toyed with war driving, as well as it being strapped to the back of my Harley for an occasional visit to a clients house. Guess it all really depends on just what LaFemmeMichele plans are for it.

11. LaFemmeMichele

I've just come from your Acer Ferrari link, ThunderZ! So pretty! I love a black car! My plans... it won't be strapped to the back of a Harley! :)

I'd like to use it for everything & anything. It would not be an adjunt PC to a desktop, it would be my main box. Not a power user (no games) & it doesn't need to be ultra portable. I don't have to compromise due to financial considerations. Strong is good. I want to be able to really use it, & learn all there is to know! I don't want to be held back! :)

Namor & Rmus, I'm taking notes!

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would second Velocity Micro as a choice. The only install software YOU want, so you start with a clean machine. Also their service is truly outstanding. That is not a trivial consideration.

Pete

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I bought a Samsung Q35 before Christmas for my wife.

Now I don't know how rare this is but I was able to remove all the crap they had installed, get rid of the hidden partitions and start again. Samsung provided a copy of windows Xp and then a drivers disk which allowed me to not install the Norton like junk - but to only install what I wanted and needed.

Based upon my previous experience this was just like working with a desk machine and so far removed from Dell type machines - wonderful.

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

make sure you dont get one with tons of crap installed.
    dells install lots of crap and so do HP.
    acer laptops dont installl much rubbish.
    alienware install no rubbish.
    its annoying uninstalling the crap just to make it run at the speed its meant to.
    so my advise is get a laptop that has just the OS and no extra software.
    if i was to get a laptop it would have to be a alienware or one from rockdirect but probably alienware.
    they use the finest components and dont install crap.

lodore

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would have to go with Acer

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive just bought a new laptop, its a dell.

having just moved from acer, i can safely say that dell notebooks are made alot better, no flimsy parts.

----------

as for specs to the poster, i choose to get one for vista, and here is what i got:

Inspiron 1501 Turion 64 X2 TL56 (1.8GHz, 512K)
    15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display with TrueLife 1280x800
    Memory Dual-Channel 2048MB (2x1024) 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM)
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Battery Primary 9 cell 80W/HR LI-ION

the truelife screen really is worth the 'little bit extra', the quality is amazing if you choose dell, this is a must... also the 9cell battery is a must.

and my dell free vista upgrade is on its way, well... february :)

good luck,

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

did you get a xp install disc:D ?
    because i belive that dell laptops seem to be well bulti but they come with tons of crap installed so if it comes with a xp install disc you can do a fresh install so its not slow because of all the usless google and other software.
    so i think dell laptop are bulti well but they need to stop installing crap on them.
    my next door neighbour has a dell laptop and its really nice and i wish i had it lol.
    PS nice laptop C.S.J!
    what av on installed on that laptop?
    ive got a dell 19inch monitor for my desktop and its great.
    lodore

19. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

barring running games, heavy computational number crunching software (science aps, video editing at high res) ect.

Id be looking for a notebook with the best uptime for its batteries. In other words its computational performance isnt so great as to limit its use and degrade its own environment (heat).

Id also look for the toughest case and most advanced impact resistant HDD.

Laptops always lag desktops in pure CPU horsepower because of the challenges of the energy cycle, the processors are substantially different in many cases, and the thermal solutions progressively more creative. Those are the factors that limit its stability and employment. Its unlikely youd be taxing its performance with most common applications so raw horsepower isnt the prime consideration.

and for you something stylish as well :D

personally Id wipe the preinstall and load W2K or Linux or both

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dell Inspiron 6400 is quite stylish my neighbor has one.
    and all alienware laptop's are stylish:D
    lodore

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It will always be a hunt for you, lol, to buy the right pc. But don't buy anything without looking at what Toshiba has to offer. So far no regrets.

22. ThunderZ

Ahhh, another 2k fan. Thought I was the last.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Windows 2000 pro was a great OS.
    also for the OP the dell XPS M1210 looks a really nice laptop if you dont mind the small screen.
    or if you want better graphics and more power try the dell Inspiron 9400 or 6400.
    or the alienware area 51 m5500
    all nice laptops
    when i first heard dell was buying alienware i freaked thinking there where going to interfear and load crap on to it and lose there main market but they didnt.
    i have learned that dell make well make laptop's and pc's but the weak point is the fact they load so much crap on them.
    lodore

24. LaFemmeMichele

Wow! Look at this thread! The insight! You are going to help many people! :) I'm so grateful for your responses.

25. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

you bet ;)
    who needs XPs prepackaged eyecandy when you can hack your own up and do a better job? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.