New Laptop - maximum protection with...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cozumel, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Just get a security suite, most of the big names are pretty light. Check out performance tests.

There's no need for extra security addons or HIPS or Sandboxes if you're just careful.

2. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

look at WSA (ex Prevx) when it come out from closed beta, is the best suite for NetBooks and of course for other notebooks
    There is a dedicated 3d here for Prevx, look and if possible try the closed beta. it run light on a atom singlecore 1giga ram system so ...

3. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Just use Windows in a standard user account, keep all up to date and do a Hitman Pro scan every week.

4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I thought it came out of closed beta and its open beta..correct me if I am wrong tho:doubt:

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It is :thumb:

6. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

:eek: OMG :eek:

So much for a consensus...Now I'm like all o_O

LOL :D

So much input...At least I've got a week before delivery to read up...And you guys have given me ton of research.

On suite packages - I want to learn hence why HIPS with sandboxing sounds so good to me. Means I have to focus on increasing my knowledge of the OS which is great as I have always been hardware focused. I could be wrong, but gut feeling is that combo gives smaller footprint. When I build my new desktop gaming / entertainment rig I will use a suite but for the laptop I want less.

On UAC - You guys are pretty much adamant so I guess I'll give it another go and see if it behaves itself after a few days.

On my OS - Some of you are making suggestions around x32 Win7 when I should have stated that I will be x64

On No-script - Sounds like something I would loathe, however, I will read up.

I will also take a peek at prevx

Thanks again chaps and chappettes....I raise a virtual glass and toast y'all!!! :cool:

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Of the three HIPS listed i would recommend either Comodo or OA Premium (Personally OA Premium, i haven't looked at their whitelist but Comodo's is like whitelisting every single thing in the internet which i don't like!) :thumb: :thumb:

So either option is good but i personally recommend Online Armor

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Don't bother with NoScript.

You would hate it.

9. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I know I did. I got rid of it quick :D

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah I used to whitelist Javascript. And then I realize it's literally not a threat to me.

11. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Yup, and that's also partially true for me. The laptop will almost exclusively be used for college work only, so i shouldn't really be doing any surfing that would take me anywhere too troublesome. I will setup for use at home on my current desktop as part of my learning process to increase my personal knowledge-base.

12. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

In that case just use some basic and simple AV and keep your programs updated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.