New language

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Chris Bell, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Bell

Chris Bell Registered Member

Hi, I don't like to begin with a moan, but there is really no other option. Firstly, trying to inprove my security I was directed to MajorGeeks then Spywareblaster (freeware). Free it isn't. It identifies problems, but will only deal with them if you pay. To try and comment on this I was directed here. Here, I find this forum. I'm no geek - nor am I a fool. I teach Maths to degree level. But, in trying to create a profile I was asked for my URL, ICQ, AIM and MSN handle. I'm sure it will cause great hilarity among your contributors to know that I have absolutely no idea what any of those mean. I'm fairly computer literate, have written a book using a pc - I even know how to change fonts. Yet here, trying to use comic sans, I'm confronted by an indecipherable prompt. Why do you make simple steps so complicated? Why have you created your own language? I would love to become adept with computers. I can't because I never have any idea what you are talking about. What is the point of a forum that only the initiated can join? Would it really be that much of a problem to use English?

Enough! I set off an hour ago to make a mild complaint about yet another free offer that isn't free. You even ask for donations (Spybot). I'd like to contribute to the forum - I'm sure many others would, but until you get off your techno high-horses and stop communicating by acronym you will repel more than you attract.

Kind regards, Chris o_O

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hello Chris Bell, and welcome to Wilders !! :)

When you create your profile, here at Wilders (or even elsewhere on forums) ...most of these are optional.

You don't have to fill all these out, if you don't want to.

Oops. Forgot to say, since you said you don't know what they mean. ICQ, AIM, MSN, etc...are Instant messengers.
    And the "URL" stands for the adress of your own website.
    If you have one, of course.

Hope this helps a little...? :doubt:

Can't comment on the others..as I also have some problems with some of what you described. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I will add a bit to Nat's statement (she is entirely correct):

1)SpywareBlaster was meant to prevent spyware from installing on your computer.
    2)Spybot S&D donations are optional, and Wilders' Security Forums does NOT ask for donations.

BTW, Welcome to Wilders' :)

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Chris....Welcome to Wilders Security Forum [​IMG]

First and foremost....The Real McKoy Spywareblaster program is free....and does not offer a feature to identifiy problems....which means it ain't got nothing to deal with. Please provide a link of what you installed....and I'll be glad to take a look at it to see what you actually downloaded.

Would you Please direct me to where you saw that at the Wilders Security Forum :doubt:

The others have answered your questions very well about AIM, URL, MSN and your IQ....so there's no need for me to add to that.

• URL=Uniform Resource Locator (world wide web address)....something like www.nascar.com
    • ICQ=I Seek You....it's simply a program that folks can use to chat with each other
    • AIM=AOL Instant Messenger....another chat program

All due respect Chris....it appears you are new to the Internet....and I suggest you hang around a bit here so we can do what we can in teaching you about those acronyms....but....we ain't got no horses :eek:

Once again....Welcome to Wilders :cool:

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Chris and welcome to Wilders.

Firstly, I don't think you'll find too may 'high-horse' types here....rather very friendly, down to earth people who will be happy to help you. They even let dumb Aussies like me participate! :D :D

Secondly, I think you may have downloaded 'Spyware Blaster' instead of 'SpywareBlaster' (I know it's confusing!). The former is mentioned on a Rougue Antispyware list here http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    See my screenshot below..

The real SpywareBlaster is available here http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and as Bubba said, it is not a scanner/fixer, just simply a program which blocks 'baddies'.

I hope you get this sorted out, and please don't tar us all with the same brush ;)

Cheers,
    Brad.

Attached Files:

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'd also like to add that you can post here without registering.

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D Hi Chris: Welcome to our little world. As already stated we for the most part are a friendly bunch, an some who post here are very knowledgeable about this security stuff. I started here because I got burned not once but twice by nasty things being on my machine, believe me that is anything but fun. Also because I live on a fixed small income, I by necessity have to utilize as much FREE software as I possibly can. I think for the past almost (3) years now, I have had little to absolutely no problems. It will take time, an one must do the homework to accomplish good results, but it can be done, the individuals at this forum can an will be of tremendous help if you ask. I have been playing around with computers on an off for almost (30) years now, an just when I get comfortable with one set of instructions and idiosyncrasies WHAM the whole thing changes an I got to start all over again. I have now got to the point, if I can make it work thats about as far as I care to go.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;)

8. Chris Bell

Chris Bell Registered Member

Hi, all who replied to my rant. In a hurry, but touched and humbled. Thanks for tips and help. I'll have a think about what it all means later. Thanks again, Chris.

9. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

New language?

Since people from all over the world meet here,
    normally speaking a totally diff. language.....
    It is nice to know, that there is
    one common ICT Security forum language/slang.
    It takes a while, but take the time to learn this language.
    From all the languages i can speak, i think, if your native language is English,you have easiest translation to make.

The English <--> ICT-Security Forum Slang Dictionary
    is not as big as Hindi <--> ICT-Security Forum Slang Dictionary

Be happy, that it is not changed into a global language that
    has words from all languages from the globe in it.

With other words:
    Welcome at Wilders
    Welkom bij Wilders Security
    mirë se vini
    welkomma
    marhaba
    bari galoust
    xos gelmissiniz
    ongi etorri
    Шчыра запрашаем (ščyra zaprašajem)
    swagata
    amrehba sisswène
    ani kié
    dobro došli
    degemer mad
    добре дошъл
    kyo tzo pa eit
    benvinguts
    bonavinuta
    dobrodošli
    vítejte
    velkommen
    bonvenon
    etc. etc.

:D

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I see that you can speak Hindi. I can speak Hindi and Tamil as well, though I am better at English :D

11. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

HELLO CHRIS!

I MISSED ALL THIS! OUT OF AN INSANE CURIOUSITY, WHICH I AM BEING TREATED FOR,......WHAT WAS YOUR BOOK ABOUT?

THANKS, HOPE YOU WILL GIVE US A CHANCE TO HELP YOU OUT!

(MYSELF, I FALL OFF MORE HORSES THAN I RIDE!;))

Marja:cool:

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  12. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

u know itz no problem whatever ur language iz...u can communicate with my special language and tht iz picture msg
    A PICTURE IZ WORTH 1000 WORDZ :D
    AXIS

Last edited: May 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.