New kubuntu/Ubuntu CDs Monitor goes to sleep during boot?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Warlockz, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

So as some have probably experienced already the old issue that still has not been addressed by Ubuntu, some users machines Graffix card has no support during boot, the boot process starts, the user selects try Ubuntu/Kubuntu and their screen goes to sleep.

Im using an ATI Radeon HD 4650 graffix card thats on a Gateway RS780 (AM2) Motherboard.

I found a tutorial Ubuntu 10.04 “Lucid” Blank Screen at Startup : Workaround and in one of the comments a user suggested...Delete Quiet and splash and replace it with
    , so it would look like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”radeon.modset=0 xforcevesa" Or "acpi=off radeon.modeset=0"

or maby?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quite splash radeon.modset=0 xforcevesa"

I dont know which one to try first?

Will this work and will this mess up the current windows OS from booting?

Why has this issue not been addressed? this problem was in Ubuntu 10 lucid in 2010 and they still have not fixed it?

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It will work and not mess up your Windows boot.

I don't think you need the xforcevesa line. Just radeon.modeset=0 should do it. Make sure to update grub with the "update-grub" command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.