New KNOS Operating System released by Kevin and Nancy

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kevin McAleavey, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

I would imagine it'll work OK, especially if it's hooked up to it when you first boot up. KNOS does all of its detections at startup and has to figure out what drivers to load at that time from its repertoire. Most laptops that have an auxiliary output handle that in a section of BIOS known as "ACPI" and provide a key toggle on the keyboard to switch the mode. If the BIOS is OK, then KNOS should follow the switch for you.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Kevin

What about stuff like Nvidia Raid drivers?

Pete

PS Any idea when a trial will be available.

3. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Sorry to keep you waiting, things have been a bit hectic here on this end. First off, we had hoped to have the "demo" available this week, it's likely to slip off to next weekend at the earliest since we're still hoping to put out a demo that includes most of what's in the retail version or at least some video so people can see what the full product contains. Keep an eye on our site, we'll let everybody know there once it's ready.

As to the NVidia raid stuff, BSD is primarily designed for server use and so RAID support is one of the major requirements of the OS itself. That said, NVidia has had some issues with open source in the past and so I can't really give you a certain answer there. It depends on how old the machine is and whether the particular NVidia RAID stuff is actually fully AHCI compliant. NVIDIA supports the AHCI standard only from MCP65. The older nVidia chipsets never really ran well on FreeBSD. The latest ones are okay though i've got a few systems running on those just fine, including onboard nvidia gigabit. Earlier chips had undocumented mechanisms for supporting NCQ, which were not implemented for BSD.

About all I can offer is update your BIOS if you encounter any problems and if that doesn't help, try playing with BIOS options. KNOS doesn't need to access RAID hard disks by design other than read-only if it can mount them, so even if there are incompatibilities, it shouldn't affect KNOS running on a system that does have a problem given that hard disks need not be involved at all. Wish I could give you a better answer, but so far no complaints on NVidia RAID that we've seen. And a few people have run KNOS on it during beta testing and with our release candidate.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The fact that it's based on BSD and not Linux or anything else, won't make ANY difference to the target audience whatsoever :p

All they need is, something that works straight out of the box, and does what it says on the tin ;)

After all the BOclean debarcle with you know who :p i wish Kevin & Nancy great success with their new venture :thumb:

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

6. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Hi.....the total cost is $34.99, $30 for the software $4.99 subscription charge. Can't get one without the other. Updates and upgrades are important, as all operating systems are in a constant state of flux (if you don't want to believe that, we can pick up the discussion next "patch Tuesday"). You get a year of update and upgrade downloads. So Jaynick is *sort* of correct, and so are you.

7. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

I sent Kevin a PM on the 3rd April requesting a trial, he promptly replied that it is Nancy who deals with this type of request and would forward my PM on to her. I did not hear from Nancy so on the 13th April I sent her a PM directly requesting a trial and have as yet not received a reply :(

Post #29 suggests a trial should be available by now.

How about an update please?

Thanks,

Adam :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.