New KAV 4.5 Personal/Pro Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SKA, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

I believe KAV starts several instances of its modules in order to establish some sort of mutual checking, so that malware cannot shutdown KAV without noticing. As far as I remember it is the same with v4 avpm.exe and if you terminate one process the other one complains that there was an unauthorized shutdown.

Although this sort of protecting scheme doesn't work all too well (you can shoot both instances faster than they'll notice...) it is certainly better than no protection at all.

2. controler

controler Guest

Latest install attempt

Attached Files:

3. root

root Registered Member

Well controler, there has to be a reason for that and I have not seen anyone else come up with that particular problem.
    So, what on your system that is conflicting with KAVs install?
    I am not saying there is anything wrong with your system, just where's the conflict? The original beta version of Outpost 2 did not work with KAV, but Agnitum got that fixed.
    Have you reported this to betatest@kaspersky.com ? Perhaps the error message will mean something to them.
    I know in the past, I have had problems with KAV being installed with another AV. I believe you also have Lockdown and it's possible there is a conflict there.
    Being a supporter of KAV, my only interest is in making KAV a viable option for those that want to use it.
    I really hope you can work with Kaspersky and get this sorted out. Lisa, at the Iceland board can also be a great help. :)

4. controler

controler Guest

Hi Root

I haver checked out the KAV Beta forum and also e-mailed Lisa.
    I do have a lot of software installed at the moment.
    I do not load Lockdown at startup. I will try dissabling some
    processes before I try install it each time. I am sure the KAV team
    will be of help.
    I did see you making some posts at the KAV Forum :D

I also think KAV is one fine AV

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Tried the new 4.5 Pro beta. Works so far without problems on my current test system (Win2k/SP3). :)

wizard

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Controller, I have also replied over at Kav UK forums, but have you got the latest VB runtime files installed? It may not help one bit but worth a shot!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];vbruntime&

7. controler

controler Guest

Thank you everybody

The problem was the left over files that I had not deleted.
    The KAV Registry Cleaner Utility worked :D
    Lisa did post one registry entry to delete over at the KAV Forums but I guess that is not enough.

I am now having a problem installing the KEY Lisa sent me.
    I tried adding it to the main KAV folder and I tried to install it and get
    errors.
    There isn't any place in the clipped version to add the KEY that I can see. I get the message of my version being a DEMO that has expired

8. root

root Registered Member

Copy the key to Program Files\Common Files\KAV Shared Files and then doubleclick addkey.exe.
    Reboot. ;)

9. controler

controler Guest

root When I look at KAV Help, about it shows my KEY
    it says this is a trial for beta testing good till june 2003
    but it does not allow auto updating.
    I also have the same problem letting the monitor load automaticly.
    It uses 100 percent of my CPU till I shut it down and restart it manualy

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Tinribs!

Sorry for my very late reply, but I was 2 weeks in Turkye.

BTW: very nice country and very nice people!

I'm indeed the person, Smokey, you are pointing to! :)

11. root

root Registered Member

And I'm sorry for not seeing Controlers post.
    Where do you stand right now with KAV 4.5? Are you still using it?
    I know Lisa was moving her office last week and so she is not going to be able to help until she gets settled in her new place, I imagine.
    It is possible the key they sent you was just a temporary key for you to try it out. It is also possible that temp keys for betas do not allow for auto update........I don't know. I update manually every day myself.
    The problem with bootup is almost surely KAV trying to start the same time as something else is trying to start. It tries to load very early in the boot sequence. I suggest you try checking load manually in the monitor properties and then put avpm.exe in the startup folder. That will delay KAV starting long enough to get away from that conflict, I think.

12. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

Hi, I tried version 4.5 and the bootup is very very slowwwwwwwwwww. It seems to drag on forever. It really slowed my system down. I'm using xp. Doe's anyone have an idea of what's going on? Thanks k

13. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Are you using WinXP with Service Pack 1 or without? Has your system installed the Q811493 update?

wizard

14. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

wizard, I am using WinXP with Service Pack 1, but don't think I installed the Q811493 update yet. I'll go fetch it now if it's important..Thanks k

15. wizard

wizard Registered Member

No it's not important. I just asked that because this update could be the reason for slowdown of av programs.

wizard

16. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

Hi wizard, at the time I tried to run kav I had Trojan Hunter 3.5, cookie pal, spywareblaster, proxomitron, adsubtract, adaware, tds3 (trial) and ZoneAlarm.

At the moment, I have Trojan Hunter, cookie pal, proxomitron, spywareblaster, adaware, looknstop, avk as av and mcafee as on demand av.

Before I tried Kav, I was using NOD32 as my main and only av. Unistalled it again atm moment due to the lastest performance test by Nod32...Thanks for the help.

Also, I went to ms's website and it told me that had no updates available, but I still don't see the update you mentioned on my computer.

17. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi krazykidjoe!

If you have used the M$ Windows Update function, and it told you there are no updates available, I assume the Hotfix Q811493 is already installed on your machine.
    Like Wizard already explained, this Hotfix can be the reason for the slowdown.

Check it by using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel, only when there is listed the "Windows XP Hotfix Q811493" you have installed the Hotfix.

18. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

Hi guys. This is really strange. When I view my system information in my computer, it says XP Pro Service Pack 1. When I go to add and remove, the hotfix's are (SP2) and Q811493 does not exist in windows folder or in add and remove programs. I'm really confused now..Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks k

19. root

root Registered Member

M$ has begun calling hotfixes that come after a Service Pack has been released by the designation of the next SP release. In this case, all fixes released after SP1 are being called SP2 when the automatic updater is working.
    I hate to go out on a limb and say delete SP2, but that is probably what you will have to do to get rid of that particular bad hotfix.
    My wife has XP and I have the automatic downloading stopped. I believe you can still go to Windows update and download the ones you want one at a time, but I am not an expert in this area (or any other area) so take this as a guess.
    With my security setup, not using IE, OE, or any of M$s proprietary crap, I am usually safe in waiting a while before downloading hotfixes as so many cause more trouble than do any good.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of M$s mysterious ways can help a little better here. I do believe you have that bad hotfix installed and that is what is causing your problems.

20. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

root, I unistalled AVK and reinstalled KAV 4.5. The only slowdown that I recognize is when booting up. It really drags. I have it running very smoothly. This version seems to be alot better on resources and scans faster also. I really liked AVK, but the resources were terrible on my machine. Who knows, I may still go back to it..LOL.. Thanks

21. root

root Registered Member

Is Kav booting slowly on every boot? They know that the initial bootup after install is very slow, but after the initial bootup it should not be so bad.
    Perhaps you could fool with the monitor settings a little bit and disable some of the monitoring to see if it improves.

22. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Just a couple days ago I tried 4.5 beta and didn't see any improvement over 4.xxx. It only uses less memory but slow downs are still there. Lets hope that will change when this product is out of beta.

Technodrome

23. krazykidjoe

krazykidjoe Guest

Technodrome, I was really liking Kav 4.5 beta, but had to unistall it. I couldn't boot down the computer any longer and it was really difficult booting up. I had to do several control alt deletes to get it to boot. Can't say I didn't try. Back to AVK..LOL..

24. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Root!

In the beginning, at the first, second, third and and and install of KAV Beta v4.5, I had to solve several problems, like booting problems and starting up problems with the Monitor.

After a couple of days of very disappointing and unpredictable behaviour of the Beta version I have fixed all problems, KAV Beta is now running smoothly.

Praise the Lord! ;)

25. root

root Registered Member

KAV 4.5 gold will be released the first part of July. It should be noticably faster than the earlier 4.XX versions.
    Sadly it will probably be late summer for KAV 5.0 which promises to be significantly faster and will have a POP3 monitor, a long needed addition IMHO.

Glad you got it sorted out Smokey. It seems that KAV does best with a very clean install. Not unlike some Firewalls I could mention. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.