New Iron-Version: 5.0.381 Stable for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

10Q veddy much! :)

3. Daveski17

They really seem to be ironing out the bugs with this one! :thumb: ;)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup updated, but still no 6.x version, boo! :D

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A few weeks ago I had the thought that with so many experienced users here liking chrome so much, perhaps I had not given it a fair shake before. I installed chrome and iron. I tend to like Iron better, and have been using it quite a bit.

What issues do Iron have that would be critical to fix? It has not errored on me yet that I can tell.

Sul.

6. elapsed

The only irritating issues I've had with Iron are credential saving issues. For nearly anything based off vB it simply won't ask me to save credentials.

Minor issues are about 1% of the time, randomly ofcourse, a page will load with a blank space at the bottom. Also, error pages in the latest version seem like they need a bit of work.

7. Daveski17

Has anyone had any back-button problems leaving Yahoo! pages. I find to return to my Yahoo! reader from some pages (usually Yahoo! pages) I have to hit the back-button twice in quick succession. I've been using Iron from the #2 releases & there is always some bug. It has vastly improved since the first one I downloaded & broke the spell-checker! :D

The internal adblocker is brilliant & pretty soon they are going to make it so you don't have to replace the list (adblock.ini) every upgrade.

8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

how do that adblocker in sware works?..

9. Daveski17

Copy & paste this into C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\ (Windows only)

The file is marked adblock.ini & opens a notepad document. If you are using Vista or Seven you will have to turn off the UAC from the control panel otherwise the file won't save. You can turn the UAC back on afterwards, it requires a re-boot for both switching on & off. It will prompt you to do this. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to have to do this every upgrade but the list will last months until you start to find ads creeping back, in my experience anyway.

10. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I don't see too many advantages to using Iron anymore. Google has removed client ID and RLZ tracking from Chrome. Other than GoogleUpdate, the other so called privacy issues are present in Chromium builds as well as options.

I've also found Iron, even the stable builds, to be less stable than the actual nightlies of Chromium itself.

11. elapsed

Click and HOLD down the back button, then a dropdown will show up.

12. Daveski17

Thanks, I know about that. I have had similar problems on other pages with the back-button on earlier versions of Iron. It is getting a lot better though! In fact I have only noticed this behaviour in my My Yahoo! page so far. :cool:

13. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i used sware iron before,but with fanboy adblocker

14. Daveski17

The link I posted above is Fanboy's adblock list. I'm not sure what makes it different to other Chromium adblockers. It does remove ads from sitcoms I watch on Channel 4 (UK) & Chrome's adblocker won't do that. This is the most popular adblocker for Chrome by far. There are others however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.