New Install Security Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by thanksforfish, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanksforfish

thanksforfish Registered Member

Hi,

Have just done a clean build of xp sp2 and have installed the following:

NOD32 (trial)
    Sunbelt / Kerio Home Edition
    ProcessGuard Free (thinking about going to full)

I am behind a netgear router.
    I also use Adaware SE Personal and Spybot and I am thinking about using Ewido but am not really sure what is should be used for :oops:
    I have downloaded bitdefender free as an on demand scanner but am unsure as to whether this is pointless and I should just use the NOD32 one.

I am looking for my security setup to be fairly performant in terms of resources with a medium (ie not overly paranoid to the point where my system grinds to a halt) level of security coverage. I also like to have outbound application control on the firewall.

Have I chosen wisely - do people have any opinions on this combo ?
    Thanks for any responses :)

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I think it's pretty sound.
    You can use both BitDefender and Ewido's free versions. They have full updates and no real-time monitoring, so you can use them as on-demand scanners.
    The only thing more I would recommend is Firefox / Opera browser.
    Good luck,
    Mrk

3. Get

Get Guest

=> http://www.ewido.net/en/

4. thanksforfish

Thanks for the replies.

Had a bit more of a read about Ewido - I think I have trouble differentiating between the jobs that ProcessGuard, Spybot, Adaware and Ewido do and whether there is any overlap.

I have read a few things about the ewido realtime guard being a bit on the heavy side but apart from that it sounds very comprehensive.

Would I use Bitdefender over Nod32 on demand and if so why ?

By the way I use Opera and Thunderbird for browser and email.

Thanks.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There have been reports that some users have found the Guard a little heavy.

IME, however, it runs very light on my systems; no noticeable slowdowns. You may however, see more of a performance hit on older machines.
    If you like the trial of NOD and purchase this AV you could then use BitDefender Free as a backup scanner. It has more unpackers than NOD but scan speed is slower.

Further, both are excellent primary AV's.

6. thanksforfish

Thanks for the advice.

Scan speed is certainly slower - nod32 managed about 5 minutes scanning a 1.5GB demo file - I had to cancel bitdefender after about 15 minutes.

I have also turned off ewido real time and have seen a bit of an improvement in performance.

Would anyone care to comment on the resource usage of ProcessGuard and any competitors (like online armour) - I am a bit new to the whole HIPS thing.

I have at least decided I am happy with NOD32 and Kerio :)

Thanks.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

processguard is very light. tho i think online armor is a tad heavier since it also protects the HOSTS file, startup section and it has the web filter proxy. why not try them both and decide for yourself?

8. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

did you configure NOD32 like Blackspear's post here? i just installed NOD32 full on wifes PC and it was helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.