New Install, Missing text in PE

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by JamesHP, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesHP

JamesHP Guest

I just reformatted my machine and after doing all windows updates (windows xp pro), putting kerio 2.1.5 and mcafee enterprise edition 8.0 back on here, I tried to install port explorer. It seemed to install without any problems, but a lot of text seems to be missing. There's a lot of buttons that don't say anything, and lots of blank spaces where it looks like there should be text. There are no error messages though... I would post some screen captures but I don't see a way to attach files on this message.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi JamesHP,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

In order to attach files, you must register and become a member. And it is free!!!

3. JamesHP

JamesHP Registered Member

hi puff-m-d, thanks for the welcome and the quick reply :)
    I have attached an image of the "About" screen.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  4. puff-m-d

Hi JamesHP,

Welcome to Wilders (this time as a registered member)!!!

It is DCS's weekend, so it may be first of the week before someone from DCS replies. However, a member may know the cause and post it in the meantime.

While you wait, settle back and relax while you browse around the forums. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I do and find it both fun and informative ;) ...

5. puff-m-d

Here is what that screen should look like (I have removed my registration info):

Attached Files:

6. JamesHP

Thanks puff-m-d. I found what was causing this. I went searching around the forums and noticed some other people were having problems with mcafee firewall. While I don't have that installed, I figured mcafee enterprise might have something to do with this, and it turned out that it did. After disabling "buffer overflow protection", everything seems to work fine. All the missing text is there now. :D

I don't really want to leave things disabled, and Mcafee allows exclusions from the buffer overflow protection. However, I don't know what to put in these fields. Does anybody know?

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      12.4 KB
      Views:
  7. puff-m-d

That is a little bit beyond my knowledge. You might have to wait thru the weekend for one of the DCS guys to answer that question ;) ...

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

JamesHP,

According to that message box, it seems that the On-Access Scanner (= OAS) log files should contain the required information. I don't use McAfee, so I can't provide a step-by-step description, but make sure you have logging enabled and check out the realtime log files.

Blue

9. JamesHP

Thanks for the suggestion, BlueZannetti. I looked through all the logs in mcafee, but was unable to find any errors whatsoever, PE related or otherwise. Later, mcafee started causing issues with some games I was installing on this machine, (again with no errors or other reports in any logs) so I just ended up removing mcafee and going with another AV. The weird thing is, mcafee seems to work flawlessly on my computer at work (where I got the copy of mcafee from) but then again, maybe asking a corporate product to work in a home environment was just asking for trouble. Anyway, port explorer is working great now that I have a different AV on here.

Thanks for trying to help, you two.

10. puff-m-d

Hi James,

You are welcome ;) , I am glad you figured it all out and got things working :cool: ...

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for telling James.
    McAfee firewall is known to cause issues most probably for some configuration settings nobody could find out, but it seems now effected to the whole mcafee range. Or extra element like you described with the versions / licenses.
    Glad you have it all nice and running.

12. orion

orion Registered Member

Hi
    I have the same problem. After disabling McAfee (I can not disable buffer overflow protection) it works perfectly.

The same problem I have with WormGuard (there is no text on main wormguard's screen)

...and in TDS. But in TDS it is little diffrent. There is no text on the button during start-up, but after scanning processes (which is done automatically during start-up) problem disapeared.

I have also processguard but I have not install it yet, 'couse it will have the same problem.

With other software there are no such problem at all.
    Is it only DCS software problemo_O

PS. CryptoSuite is not affected (thought it was DCS program)

br
    Darek

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.