New IE Holes Defy Latest Patches

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Four new holes have been discovered in the Internet Explorer Web browser that could allow malicious hackers to run attack code on Windows systems, even if those systems have installed the latest software patches from the Redmond, Washington company, security experts warn.

http://tinyurl.com/2c9v5

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi ronjor.

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading, especially about the part near the end with QwikFix.

I read that site and it sounded interesting, however, I cannot for the life of me get anything to happen when clicking for the free download.

If you can manage to get it, can you PM me and I'll give addy.

It looks like a good solution for forthcoming risks according to their blurb.

http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix/

Cheers, TAS

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Tas - I found when clicking on that link that it opens a email dialog box prompting you to send them an email asking to be added to their beta-tester's list. I did. Waiting for response...

Excellent article Ronjor! :)

4. Tassie_Devils

HI D&C... Oh yes, I got that, ;) and even clicked on it. But, that's not what is entirely clear.

To me it seemed if you wanted to become a Beta Tester for the PRO version. Maybe I read it differently than you, maybe you are correct, but I took it to mean you "can download free and simple QwikFix......etc. etc." to be just that. Download the program and the other was for companies, etc. PRO version and/or Beta Tester.

I will see what you get D&C :D first hey? Post back and let us know. Off to bed now.

Cheers, TAS

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sounds like the writer of the article mislead people as far as the program being available goes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  6. Tassie_Devils

Hi ronjor and D&C:

I sent an email to QwikFix earlier this afternoon regarding the links, around 4.00 p.m my time, and just go home from work, and had reply.

=================================================

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in QFP. I am not sure what the problem is. I will forward you the download links on Monday when I return to the office.

Luis Curet
    Vice President

===============================================

Pretty good hey?

Must be weekend there now [it's 12.35 a.m. early Monday morning here now], so will post further results when I get them.

Cheers, TAS

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Same here, Tassie. Still no app, just the email.

8. More holes in IE. Not much of a surprise to hear that. IE is getting to be like the swiss cheese of software. 'Bigfix' and 'SmartFix' are similar free programs like Qwikfix. One other way around the trouble is don't use that piece of sh** known as IE. Use another browser.

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

IE is a PROBLEMATIC browser. :mad: With so many browser exploits and holes, IE is very sickening indeed. Microsoft's hard work and efforts put into developing IE have all gone down the toilet, which is where all the s**t goes. I don't like to criticize IE and microsoft like that but, if IE is FOREVER going to have browser exploits and holes like that, i bet everybody would be flushing IE down the toilet.
    Microsoft, why why why are your products ALWAYS having holes and exploits non-stop?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  10. sig

sig Registered Member

From the article linked to in the first post:

"New Threats

On Thursday, two more unpatched Internet Explorer holes also surfaced that are slight variations on the same themes. One is a spoofing vulnerability that works on IE, as well as the Mozilla and Safari browsers, and allows attackers to fake the address displayed in the address bar."

I added the bold. Although the Moz family generally is safer than IE, if for no other reason that it's not part of the OS, it is not necessarily totally immune from potential issues such as this. Just something Moz users should be aware of. Address spoofing can be tricky for the user to notice even when a browser provides clues to the user (as when for example info in the status bar differs from the info that appears in the address bar as I think was the case with a previous spoofing exploit as demo'ed in Moz browser). Ordinarily the casual user probably wouldn't be looking at the two locations and wouldn't notice the disparity in the address info.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good point Sig

I would add that a lot of the problems on the Web come from the fact that at the time http was conceived, the Web was for the most part, a private means of exchanging info. It is now open to the public with all the problems that come with this method of communication.

12. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

oh me oh my, more holes again. a real :oops: .

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I got the app today. Haven't tried it yet. Who goes first? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.