new HP laptop slow imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SeanFL, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

I have a new HP laptop that I was imaging. Using the Acronis CD boot, it was very slow for how powerful this machine is (2 ghz amd) whether I used the internal HD partition, or an external USB drive. Also noticed something odd when I booted into windows: windows pegged the machine at 500 mhz in computer properties. When I'd have the machine doing something that used the processor, then windows would see the whole 2 ghz. Ok, so the chip slows down when not used...pretty cool for power & heat.

I decided to re-install xp pro and not add any of the HP patches that they have on a cd. Now windows always shows 2 ghz. But now Acronis (from the CD, NOT inside windows) also flies. Those two shouldn't be connected, right?

Not sure what changed, but instead of taking an hour to image, it does it in around 6 minutes. any ideas?

thanks! Sean

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

True Image trys to run as a background process so that you can use the computer while it's being imaged. In the case of some laptops, it does not trigger the power management software to kick into high speed. You effectively disabled the HP power management software and now your laptop always runs at top speed. Thus, the much faster imaging.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I also have a HP laptop new and to address a couple of your comments;

To remove the customisation for the mobo and chipset that HP build in is silly, your time on battery will be very small compared to allowing the 'stepping' of the cpu not to mention heat the other interfaces of sound and other peripherals.

Time to do an image will vary depending on the size of the image and speed of the HD's most laptop hardrives are 5400 rpm and external usb devices slower, to image to the primary partition or even the primary drive defeats the purpose of effective recovery, so in the case of a mobile pc you should image to an external drive or burn to a DVD.

I image an 80 gig drive 83% free to an external 4500 rpm usb 2.0 40 gig HD via windows in just under 20 minutes, which is no pain considering I can still use the machine.

I'd reinstall your system from the hp recovery disks to avoid future issues. :oops:

4. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

sorry if I haven't been clear. I DO plan on installing the HP customization. I'm testing to find out why True Image was so slow on this laptop. My usage was limited the acronis BOOT cd...I'm sure things would be very fast if I installed True Image onto the machine.

Somehow using the Acronis boot cd was very slow initially, and now it's raging. I recal trying to image the laptop to an external usb drive, and I'm almost certain I tried to another partion, with plans to take the file off and move it over to an external media. Acronis v903 would not write directly to the hp dvd writer that is in the laptop.

Maybe I've also run into an issue with USB2.0 that I've just read about with later versions of the Linix program.

So, my re-installing xp pro should have zero effect on the processor speed, speed to image, etc... *while using the acronis boot cd*, right?

Sean

5. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

The processor speed setting is also normally found in the bios under "Power Management" or something similar. The Windows software can sometimes change the bios setting and thus affect programs outside of Windows.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SeanFL,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are absolutely right when saying that Windows settings should not affect the backup process performed from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD.

Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD has it's own Linux based environment which works independently of Windows.

Please create Acronis report (report.txt) and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Send these files along with the step-by-step description of the actions talen before the problem disappeared and the link to this thread to support@acronis.com. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.